• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pointing Sonar To The Correct Garritan Folder For VST Use

Share/Bookmark

Pointing Sonar To The Correct Garritan Folder For VST Use

The Garritan user manual goes over setting up GPO for use as a VST in a sequencer, but it does not identify the folder within the GPO installation that Sonar should be pointed to in order to recognize and use the instruments. I'm sure this is obvious to most or the user manual would have included the information, but it's not obvious to me.

Any help is appreciated.
    John B.
    ------------------
    Sonar 8.5 Producer (64 bit)
    Notion 3

GPO4
    EWQL Symphonic Choirs

2.5 GHz Core2 Quad, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit
    Audiophile 192

Keystation 61es

Re: Pointing Sonar To The Correct Garritan Folder For VST Use

Quote Originally Posted by John6448 View Post
    The Garritan user manual goes over setting up GPO for use as a VST in a sequencer, but it does not identify the folder within the GPO installation that Sonar should be pointed to in order to recognize and use the instruments. I'm sure this is obvious to most or the user manual would have included the information, but it's not obvious to me.

Any help is appreciated.
    The folder path should be:

Program Files > Garritan > ARIA Player > VST

The ARIA Player VST folder has the plugin DLLs for both the 32- and 64-bit versions of ARIA. After you add ARIA through the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager, click on VST Instruments in the Plug-in Categories pane. You'll see that the list in the Registered Plug-ins pane now includes the following:

ARIA Player Multi VST_x64
    ARIA Player VST_x64
    ARIA Player Multi VST_x86
    ARIA Player VST_x86

Since you're running the 64-bit version of Sonar, it would be advisable to exclude the x86 ARIA plug-ins. With all that done, you can insert the ARIA player into the Sonar synth rack. One of the things I'm really liking about Sonar is the fact that you can run unlimited instances of ARIA, which allows you to work with very large ensembles. When working with ensembles the only thing to remember is that you should use the Multi player so that each instrument is sending over its own channel. (The non-Multi version of ARIA can handle ensembles, but all instruments send over stereo channels 1 and 2.)

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

The folder option of where the instruments are located is in the last part of the install. The installer asks where you want to install the instruments. I use the default normally. It then asks for an install location for the samples. Please note that this is a different location than where you install the VST. I usually install the VST to the the Cakewalk VST plugin folder.

I have multiple hard drives in my system so I install the instrument files to my C: drive (OS system) but install the samples to one of my sample drives.

When you launch the ARIA VST inside Sonar, it should have the instruments listed if you do the above.

Jim

Thanks to both of you. Worked fine.
    John B.
    ------------------
    Sonar 8.5 Producer (64 bit)
    Notion 3

GPO4
    EWQL Symphonic Choirs

2.5 GHz Core2 Quad, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit
    Audiophile 192

Keystation 61es

Hey Guys, Just wanted to say sorry for resurfacin g this older thread, but also to say THANK YOU for the info I needed in order to get Sonar 8.5 to see the program

Glad I did the search first

Sincerely
    Mick

Go Back to forum