• Register
  • Help

Topic: Skype Down in your neighborhood?

Orcas Island

Skype Down in your neighborhood?

I woke up this morning and, as ritual, went to Skype to greet people (and wish Tony a Happy Birthday). But the service was not working.

From what little I could find out, it seems Skype may be down in many places. Maybe those WikiLeeks again?

Is Skype down for anyone else, or is it just me?

Re: Skype Down in your neighborhood?

Skype is down worldwide, but they have not yet explained why or given any indication as to when it might come back up... unless there have been further updates since I last looked.

I don't use Skype or Twitter myself, but the news is all over the place now.
    Arvid Hand

Skype was dead as a doornail here too
    but it's woiken again

I managed to get this from the Skype blog before it went down too;

Earlier today, we noticed that the number of people online on Skype was falling, which wasn’t typical or expected, so we began to investigate.

Skype isn’t a network like a conventional phone or IM network – instead, it relies on millions of individual connections between computers and phones to keep things up and running. Some of these computers are what we call ‘supernodes’ – they act a bit like phone directories for Skype. If you want to talk to someone, and your Skype app can’t find them immediately (for example, because they’re connecting from a different location or from a different device) your computer or phone will first try to find a supernode to figure out how to reach them.

Under normal circumstances, there are a large number of supernodes available. Unfortunately, today, many of them were taken offline by a problem affecting some versions of Skype. As Skype relies on being able to maintain contact with supernodes, it may appear offline for some of you.

What are we doing to help? Our engineers are creating new ‘mega-supernodes’ as fast as they can, which should gradually return things to normal. This may take a few hours, and we sincerely apologise for the disruption to your conversations. Some features, like group video calling, may take longer to return to normal.

Stay tuned to @skype on Twitter for the latest updates on the situation – and many thanks for your continued patience in the meantime.

OH my - That really must have been like a day without sunshine for you, Gary. But it looks like you should have service in the morning for your usual routine. Maybe I'll surprise you one of these days and actually turn my Skype on, and dial you up to say BOO! Their icon just sits there on my desk top, gathering dust, looking sad.

Go Back to forum