• Register
  • Help

Topic: Down by the Salley Gardens

Down by the Salley Gardens

I arranged this for my wife to sing the melody. In the meantime, I have a GPO 3 flute playing the main part. The two lines of accompaniment are both played by RealGuitar voices, steel strings fingered. Basically, I wanted a guitar accompaniment that wasn't strumming chords, and this is what I came up with.

I hope you enjoy it, and let me know what you think.

Re: Down by the Salley Gardens

I like the arrangement. The guitar's push and pull a bit: sometimes they fill in gaps, sometimes they create one, sometimes they play high, sometimes low. Works well. The recording's a bit stiff to my taste, a bit more rubato would be nice, but it has to be very nice to hear live, where such matter settle themselves with some competent performers. And it's a good way to say goodbye to the old year. Cheers!

Thanks, Theo. I'll give that a shot and see what we come up with. This was written as an accompaniment for my wife, so she'll get to call the tempo changes for it. Once she starts rehearsing the singing, we can determine where she'd like to change the temp, and make the necessary changes.

Merry Christmas!

Who composed the melody? I found several composers listed in Wikipedia (where I found the text). It has a bit of an Irish feel to it.

Merry Christmas to you and your beloved ones too. May you play together in harmony.

Merry Christmas back atcha, Theo. Hope your day is a good one.

Down by the Salley Gardens is a traditional Irish song. It was originally inspired by a poem by William Butler Yeats... he wrote the words. I don't know if Yeats wrote THIS melody (he wrote A melody for it, I think), so I don't know where this melody comes from.

Like "Foggy Dew" and "Danny Boy", we don't have to explain them, they just are. (grin)

Southern Ontario, Canada

Hi Mathew;
    Very good!
    I particularly liked the guitar accompaniment in this piece. The guitar sample was good and the arrangement was finely crafted and perfect for the job. I think with a live singer taking the flute part and the appropriate tempo changes here and there, it would all work very well.

Thanks for posting and Merry Christmas on Christmas Day!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum