• Register
  • Help

Topic: Paxho

Share/Bookmark

Paxho and More

This is the first of a series of bagatelles for piano. The others will be posted as finished.

Paxho

MP3 made using Sonar and GPO.

Richard

Added:

see below for details on the full set.

Re: Paxho

It ends rather abruptly, although that in some way fits the music: it's untamed and uncompromising, and a bit of a caprice. Sometimes there are clear lines, and at a whim they switch to clashing chords, but the theme, if I can call it that, is never far away. I find it challenging and inspiring, like your organ works. I'm curious what the next will bring!

PS I can't guess what the title refers to. It isn't "pax hominibus", is it?
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    PS I can't guess what the title refers to. It isn't "pax hominibus", is it?
    You got it! I needed a name, and that was on my mind, so there it is!

I do like your description, which fits very well. Thanks for your comments, which are always thoughtful.

The next is finished, entitled "Mahoko", which, like the music, is something of a whimsy that flashed through my mind this morning. I have not yet made an mp3.

Richard

Well, the set is now complete. It is a short set of short pieces, "Three Whimsies". Completely capricious and nonsensical.

Paxho

The name is, as previously noted, a truncated Pax Hominibus.

Mahoko
    The name is as whimsical as the music.

Ohne Lederhosen
    I have not a clue about the origin of the name. That is simply the name that jumped out at me. English translation: "Without Leather Pants"

Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Mahoko: The name is as whimsical as the music.
    Ohne Lederhosen: I have not a clue about the origin of the name. That is simply the name that jumped out at me. English translation: "Without Leather Pants"
    Mahoko sounds more "structural" to me than Paxho. The (two?) themes themselves sound a bit more temperamental, but the piece as a whole more even. To resort to visual comparison, it's a bit like DNA's double helix, where small units are woven around each other in a continuous movement.

Ohne Lederhosen has a very different tonality, and it starts almost like a typical German march, so the link with the title might be that it made you think of Bavarians dancing in traditional clothing. It is the easiest piece of the three, and also the most comical. I can almost imagine Tom and Jerry having a well choreographed fight. Wrt rendering: it cuts off before the last note has decayed, and there is a slightly odd diminuendo between 1:11 and 1:13.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    it cuts off before the last note has decayed, and there is a slightly odd diminuendo between 1:11 and 1:13.
    Not now. I replaced the mp3 a few minutes ago. But I am at a loss about the diminuendo.

Yes, the opening is very typically Bavarian, inspired by some of the outdoor events I attended in Germany. The part that I don't know about is why it demanded the name.

Richard

Richard - I enjoyed this!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum