Share/Bookmark

The thrill of music

The next great conductor?
    Enjoy!
    Fred

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0REJ-lCGiKU

Re: The thrill of music

Wow that was great!

And he was probably clearer than some of the conductors I've played under.

I'm bad, I know, but...

why would a parent put their 3 year old on youtube? I just don't get it. Some things are quite nice, beautiful even, but I can't see the point in sharing such a private moment with 227,000 youtube watchers. The same watchers that watch Lady Gaga, perhaps pron, and whatever else the great Internet has brought us!

And there's so many videos in there of little Jonathan! Have the parents asked him? How will he feel at the age of 18? Of 15? Entering puberty?

Sorry to be a fun spoiler...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    I'm bad, I know, but...

why would a parent put their 3 year old on youtube? I just don't get it. Some things are quite nice, beautiful even, but I can't see the point in sharing such a private moment with 227,000 youtube watchers. The same watchers that watch Lady Gaga, perhaps pron, and whatever else the great Internet has brought us!

And there's so many videos in there of little Jonathan! Have the parents asked him? How will he feel at the age of 18? Of 15? Entering puberty?

Sorry to be a fun spoiler...
    Good point although I'm not sure the same people who watch Lady Gaga videos will watch this one too.

I guess the point though that is it is somewhat exploitive is well taken.

it also perpetuates the myth that conductors do nothing but wave their arms while the orchestra plays.. I know the kid is only 3, and seems to have a great sense of rhythm, but anyone who works in music SHOULD know that conducting is VERY difficult and does not rely on "following what the orchestra is doing".

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    it also perpetuates the myth that conductors do nothing but wave their arms while the orchestra plays.. I know the kid is only 3, and seems to have a great sense of rhythm, but anyone who works in music SHOULD know that conducting is VERY difficult and does not rely on "following what the orchestra is doing".
    Also a good point.

When I was watching it I was thinking this kid has obviously learned the piece very well and has probably memorized a video of a conductor or has been coached to do the movements he's doing. He obviously does have a keen sense of rhythm and "feels" the music which is the marvelous part to me, not the conducting itself.

If he continues to learn pieces like this I would think it would serve him well in many musical endeavors he decided to tackle.

Go Back to forum