• Register
  • Help

Topic: Macbook Pro powerful enough for GPO4 and Logic Express 9?

Share/Bookmark

Macbook Pro powerful enough for GPO4 and Logic Express 9?

I got Logic Express 9 recently and just starting to get to know it. One thing that immediately struck me is that virtual instrument playback is not smooth at times.
    For example, when I load up the Steinway or Steinway Lite piano from GPO4 and start playing (M-Audio Keystation) every so often a note suddenly stops playing abruptly.

One other issue I'm running into all the time is that for example I have a song with several tracks and sometimes when I play it back only one or a few of the tracks will playback with the other tracks being mute. It seems to be totally random, no pattern to it. What I found is that when I activate the mute track and adjust the volume slider on my M-Audio keystation the track comes back to life, but that again seems also not to be working all the time. Sometimes it seems to help to click at a earlier point in the timeline and playing back again, but also doesn't work always.

Any ideas or ways to set up my Logic Express etc. to avoid this issue or do I have to upgrade to a new Mac?

So I'm wondering if my Macbook is not powerful enough to handle all the instruments. I've been composing with Sibelius and I can load up a lot of virtual instruments without problems there.
    I have all other programs closed while working with Logic Express to save resources.

My config:
    Macbook Pro (about 2.5 years old) Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.5.8

Re: Macbook Pro powerful enough for GPO4 and Logic Express 9?

And another one. Getting a system overload error message from Logic Express, playing Alicia's Keys on one track, getting the error after 34 seconds... is it my memory buffer overflowing?

I'm looking into the option of upgrading my system RAM to 8GB and 64bit Snow Leopard.. would that improve the performance much? Appreciate any comments.

How big audiobuffers you use when i changed them form 32 to 512 i get much more power form my Mac Mini Late 2009 computer. i now i can use few plugins are earlier impossible use. and this 32 is my mistake and actually my pc sound card allowed this kind smaller numbers but current card is 8 inputs and 8 outputs (needs bigger buffers i think) than single stereo input and output. but this buffer setting in audio settings in Logic is think what i look first in you situation.

First thing, get the most memory you can get. That is the key factor.

I have a 2015 6 core MacPro (Darth Vader's head).

When purchasing a new computer, and explaining my needs, NO ONE at Apple could tell me what was the best machine for me. I got answers from a laptop to I absolutely needed the MacPro 12 core, etc.. Fast drives help too. Although watch the meters, usually it's the CPU slowing things down. (I write songs to internal SSD, libraries are on a RAID system.

I often end up with 60 - 100 tracks.. (some just playing a small part), rather than putting all articulations on one track I spread them out, easier to mix volume levels, panning.

What you CAN DO, to get more power, is turn your virtual instruments into audio tracks.. Then save a Channel Strip of your virtual instrument, and reset the channel strip to off.. (Leaving virtual instrument in track, but shut off, DOES NOT save any power. Also if you have a lot of virtual instruments on, it takes more time for Logic to Load..

Lenthen the audio processing buffers, to large to accommodate more instruments, although that might bring in troublesome delay when recording. Playing the note, then hearing the Virtual Instrument respond.

This site - Logic Pro help is very good. https://www.logicprohelp.com The moderators and a lot of users are very knowledgable.. I would ask your questions there, if you already are not aware of site. Haven't been to Apple's Logic forum for a long time, because they would delete and ban any user who said anything negative about the program.. Don't know if they still did that.. Apple has really turned to its. ICRAP gadgets mostly.

I've talked to some Apple workers, who really weren't aware of a MacPro computer, only the Laptop.. A lot of the users are not familiar with Logic Pro either. It is a damn good program. Although all the DAWS available now, are in the same league.. What works for you is best.

oops... just noticed how old this post is, situation long resolved I guess. will maybe this will help some one

Go Back to forum