• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic version price, future updates, and other questions

Share/Bookmark

Post Basic version price, future updates, and other questions

Hello everyone!

In the last week or so, I've jumped head first into the world of virtual pianos after having used a stock Roland HP 237 for several years. That Roland was outdated (discontinued, actually) when I bought it, but I still love it. I am absolutely thrilled to be able to use virtual piano software now that I have a dedicated PC for the job. It is like having a new piano!

I am sold on the Authorized Steinway. The sound is fantastic. There are only a couple things keeping me on the fence, and I apologize if these questions have been asked here before. My searches didn't turn up much. First, the main product information page for Authorized Steinway lists the Basic version at $149 for the download, yet the store and shopping cart list it at $99. Is the lower price a promotional deal? In other words, should I jump off the fence and buy now?

The manual for the Basic version refers to a Standard edition with 2 listening perspectives. Is this no longer available?

Finally, I notice that a 1.05 version is in the works. If I buy now, will I be able to download that as an update? Will there be a charge?

Although I realize that this software is an amazing bargain, I'm a real penny pincher right now. I look forward to any responses.

Thank you!

Re: Basic version price, future updates, and other questions

Quote Originally Posted by marc321 View Post
    Hello everyone!

In the last week or so, I've jumped head first into the world of virtual pianos after having used a stock Roland HP 237 for several years. That Roland was outdated (discontinued, actually) when I bought it, but I still love it. I am absolutely thrilled to be able to use virtual piano software now that I have a dedicated PC for the job. It is like having a new piano!

I am sold on the Authorized Steinway. The sound is fantastic. There are only a couple things keeping me on the fence, and I apologize if these questions have been asked here before. My searches didn't turn up much. First, the main product information page for Authorized Steinway lists the Basic version at $149 for the download, yet the store and shopping cart list it at $99. Is the lower price a promotional deal? In other words, should I jump off the fence and buy now?

The manual for the Basic version refers to a Standard edition with 2 listening perspectives. Is this no longer available?

Finally, I notice that a 1.05 version is in the works. If I buy now, will I be able to download that as an update? Will there be a charge?

Although I realize that this software is an amazing bargain, I'm a real penny pincher right now. I look forward to any responses.

Thank you!
    $99 was the holiday sale price for GAS Basic. I thought the sale was over, so perhaps the powers that be either decided to keep that price going, or it's still there due to an oversight. In either case it looks like you can still get it for $99, so you may want to jump on it now if you're so inclined.

I agree that GAS is a fantastic instrument. Unfortunately, it appears that the current version of Basic has only the under-the-lid mic perspective. Honestly, I wish there were a version in between Basic and Pro because for me personally that limitation with Basic is a deal-killer, but the price tag for Pro is kinda steep. I'm working on a piano sonata, so for now I'm making do with the Steinway in GPO. However, this is just my take, so you may find that GAS Basic would suit your needs.

If Garritan handles the release of 1.05 as they have been doing with GPO, you should be able to buy it as an upgrade to whatever you originally purchased, in which case the upgrade will be at a lower price. Just to give you an idea, I recently upgraded from GPO 2 to GPO 4 for $50. If I had been a new Garritan customer, GPO 4 would've cost me $150. With that said, we'll have to wait and see whether or not GAS 1.05 will be offered as an upgrade for current GAS owners.

I understand your need to pinch pennies. I think most of us are in that boat these days.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

$99 was the holiday sale price for GAS Basic. I thought the sale was over, so perhaps the powers that be either decided to keep that price going, or it's still there due to an oversight. In either case it looks like you can still get it for $99, so you may want to jump on it now if you're so inclined.
    Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

I agree that GAS is a fantastic instrument. Unfortunately, it appears that the current version of Basic has only the under-the-lid mic perspective. Honestly, I wish there were a version in between Basic and Pro because for me personally that limitation with Basic is a deal-killer, but the price tag for Pro is kinda steep. I'm working on a piano sonata, so for now I'm making do with the Steinway in GPO. However, this is just my take, so you may find that GAS Basic would suit your needs.
    I completely agree about a version in between Basic and Pro. There was a Standard at some point (in fact, I think you can find a couple licenses on Amazon). When you say that you're making do with the Steinway in GPO, how would you say it compares to GAS?

I am an amateur pianist at best, with little training. I plan to continue my lessons when I begin college next fall. The single perspective should be sufficient for my needs. I don't anticipate doing any recording or live performances for more than a handful of people. That may change, however, as I improve (I hope).

Regarding the upgrade to 1.05, given the likely-soon-to-be-ending holiday deal, it sounds like I'll end up paying about the same amount either way (depending on whether I choose to upgrade). Regardless, I'm slowly climbing down from my fence. My feet may hit the ground today.

Thank you very much for your input, Steve.

Marc

Hi, Marc!

The Steinway in GPO is good, but lacks the more in-depth sampling of the GAS instrument. For example, GAS has something like 20 velocity layers, while the GPO Steinway has only a few. Also the GAS sound seems (at least to my ears) to be more transparent, which benefits overall clarity in louder and/or more complex passages which I find can get a bit muddy with the GPO Steinway.

From what you said in your reply, I think GAS Basic would be fine for you. As for me, I'll hold out with the GPO Steinway until I can scrape enough nickels and dimes together for GAS Pro. If GAS 1.05 comes out before that time, maybe they'll actually offer an in-between version which will suit my needs at a more affordable price. I really hope so -- there's a convolution reverb program called Altiverb that I'd like to add to my DAW arsenal. At $500 it'll be tough to work into my budget. If I had to put GAS Pro on top of that, 2011 would become an expensive year!

Anyway, glad I could help out, and my best wishes for a happy, healthy, and safe New Year!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Also the GAS sound seems (at least to my ears) to be more transparent, which benefits overall clarity in louder and/or more complex passages which I find can get a bit muddy with the GPO Steinway.
    I am thrilled to hear this. Many of the virtual pianos I've tried and heard can only be described as muddy, in my opinion. My focus is classical music, so clarity is a necessity.

Thanks again for the input, and I hope you have a wonderful New Year as well! Best of luck with your DAW arsenal. Sounds like you'll have one heck of a setup.

Marc

The normal price has been $99 since GAS basic was released. I believe it was on sale for $79. It's never been $150 that I know of.

Jim

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

I already made my purchase this evening. Couldn't wait. So far, I'm happy with it. I think it'll make a good practice piano.

The GAS Basic version is my go to piano! Loads quickly, memory effecient and sounds great.

Jim

Smile Re: Basic version price, future updates, and other questions

After a good day playing, I have to agree! Snappy, responsive, expressive, dynamic, and so much more realistic than my stock Roland. With my Audiophile 2496, my ears can't even detect any latency. I'm sure it's there, but I'd have to record a sample and slow it down to notice.

Good stuff. Extremely satisfied.

Go Back to forum