• Register
  • Help

Topic: New to Production. Need Some good Soft synths

Share/Bookmark

Smile New to Production. Need Some good Soft synths

I am using Sonar 8.5 Producer edition as my main DAW so the soft synth must work 100% within it.

I will basically only be doing R&B, hip hop, soul and jazz type music.

Since I am new, I would like it to be something simple to learn but kind of challenging. I was thinking about omnisphere but I think I'll wait a couple years.

I really dig strings and guitar mostly. I really would like to have a handful of sounds.

P.S
    Please do not post try the free ones that are out there. Please list a specific Soft Synth.

oh yeah forgot to mention it can't be something like guitar rig. I don't know how to play guitar. I am really focusing on learning keyboard and chord progression skills right now. Once I conquer keyboard/piano I will master another instrument.

Oh and do not worry about computer specs, because I'll be having one built to master any software available right now.

Re: New to Production. Need Some good Soft synths

Well, definately pickup up the "player" editions at Native Instruments. They have some Kore/Kontakt packs that will likely get you excited. I personally am in love with Alicia's Keys for piano. Trillian would cover you for Bass requirements (and get you one step closer to Omnisphere). Drums- well, there are packs for those as well. You might even want to look at the Komplete 7 essentials bundle they offer. Others can pipe up with other suggestions but I think those would be a great start (don't forget the included synths with Sonar).

Quote Originally Posted by Javaj View Post
    Well, definately pickup up the "player" editions at Native Instruments. They have some Kore/Kontakt packs that will likely get you excited. I personally am in love with Alicia's Keys for piano. Trillian would cover you for Bass requirements (and get you one step closer to Omnisphere). Drums- well, there are packs for those as well. You might even want to look at the Komplete 7 essentials bundle they offer. Others can pipe up with other suggestions but I think those would be a great start (don't forget the included synths with Sonar).
    do you know anything really good for strings or do you know if any of the prosessions would work withing Sonar or is it only for Protools?

Don't worry about any of these not working in Sonar (last year I moved away from Sonar when I went to Mac so I know all of these work fine). Compatabiliy is the least of your worries when you are looking at the better companies (OK, I know there are some caveats but the issues get ironed out). For strings, I am liking Session Strings for NI (got it on the last 50% off sale with Alicia's Keys). It has it's own character (and gets you into that 70's string sound with scoops and falls). Beyond that, I just have the strings that come with Komplete and Logic (and Session Strings are my favorite as they are not symphonic and fit in a pop mix better IMO).

Hi,

to my mind a good sampleplayer would be recommended. I don`t see a serious alternative to Kontakt at the moment. It is not only the big library which is contained (42GBytes) but also the number of 3rd party players offerning sounds for this platform which makes it sort of standard.

The kontakt factory library has an accetable sounding orchestral strings library on board. Besides I agree with Javaj that session strings is a good decision if you like / need this kind of string sound. Kontakt is available for 379€ (which surely is a lot of money).

Probably also Komplete 7 could be interesting for you. For only 120€ more you get Kontakt plus lots of plugs (Scarbee Pianos, Bass, several Grand Pianos, Hammonds,...). You should have a closer look on the NI-page and listen to some of the audio samples.

Concerning Omni: for me a really great synth (you can get hooked on it) but to fit your wishes probably not the optimal basic to start...

Only my 2 cents,

regards and good luck, humphrey
    C5, Forte, Cantabile, Komplete 7, OP-X Pro-II, KORE2, EOS, Halion 3, HSO, FM7, B4, VB3, Sylenth1, virt. Guit., Minimoog V, Stylus RMX exp, Omnisphere, Vista Home Premium 64, Q6600, Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, 8GB RAM Mushkin, 4 Samsung Harddisks / 1,5 TByte, RME Hammerfall DSP with Multiface, Motu Midi Express 128, NI Kore 2, Motif ES7, Fantom XR, Wavestation SR, Plugiator, TC M-One XL, ADA8000

Go Back to forum