• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere patches and pitchbend comment

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere patches and pitchbend comment

Hi guys,
    Just an opinion- I am finding a LOT of presets rely on slow releases times and thus- are affected unnaturally by pitch bend. At first I didn't think much of it but find that there are many presets that do this and take away from the opportunity to use pitch bend creatively.
    Just something I noticed.

Re: Omnisphere patches and pitchbend comment

I don't really understand. Can't you simply reduce the release time on a patch where you want to use pitch bend?

The only reasons I can think of for wanting a long release time is to have released notes overlap or to trigger a particular parameter(s) on release. If you feel you need one or both of these things on a patch but you don't want the release to interfere with pitch bend, simply use alternative methods to create the same effect.

For example, overlapping notes can also be achieved using delays and reverb (which can be triggered on release).

No, my point is that there are a lot of patches in Omni that experience this- so that if I wanted to use a sound for a lead, the pitchbend would affect the tails of the previous notes already played.
    I really discovered this after playing around with Session Strings from NI. This doesn't occur when any long decays are through Omni's reverb (instead of longer release times at the sample level).
    Oh well.

Pitchbend is a monophonic controller-it will always affect all notes sounding.
    You have two options-change the playbackmode to solo so every new note will cut off any previously played one that might still be sounding to avoid overlaps or reduce the releasetime of the amp envelope.
    Tweaking envelopes to make a preset sit in a song is a common practise and very easy to accomplish with Omnisphere,
    AFAIK there is no batch function for this but has to be done case by case.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaj View Post
    No, my point is that there are a lot of patches in Omni that experience this- so that if I wanted to use a sound for a lead, the pitchbend would affect the tails of the previous notes already played.
    Yes I understood what you mean Javaj, but if you re-read my comment above or Hans Scheffler's, I think you'll see that Hans and I are saying the same thing. ie that you need to change the release time.

Perhaps there are synths out there that somehow disconnect release notes from pitch bend, I've never come across one myself. As Hans says, its common practice to alter a patch's release times for a given track or performance style, and its what I have always had to do with every hardware and softsynth I've ever used - ie no preset is likely to cater for every possible performance style.

Keep in mind that virtually none of the patches that are lead sounds have long release times...so editing release times is not often necessary. Of course if you are using other types of sounds as leads, then of course you will need to adjust the release time to suit your approach. No big deal though....it's a standard edit that only takes a few seconds on Omnisphere. :-)

Eric is alive- the Christmas turkey didn't win this year afterall!!!

Go Back to forum