• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ************2 sappy,simple,piano minatures*******************

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation ************2 sappy,simple,piano minatures*******************

It’s been some time since I’ve been frequenting these forum threads . Really haven’t a moment of time to spend on music since this summer; life always seems to get in the way.

Last week, however, I was witnessing our first snowfall, that gentle big-flake kind, and was inspired to write these short little piano ditties. Not much, but at least something.

It’s about as far removed in everyway from my last piece I posted here (Musical Incongruity) but I emotional side likes them.

Christmas season always makes me nostalgic and I tend to get overly sentimental. The music box comes from my childhood when I broke my mother's favorite Christmas music box. It's haunted me my whole life so it is about time I try to excise the demons by writing it out of me! I can't even remember what it played, I think "Jingle Bells", at any rate I had to make up my own theme here. You can hear the death bells tolling at the beginning of the piece.
    "Forever" is about remembering everyone I've loved in my past, people and pets, that are no longer with me. I wrote it as the snow started to fall outside my window.

So without further ado, for your ears, I present unabashedly sentimental pieces---and most assuredly in their wake, projecting a suppressed maudlin overindulgence of mine. But in any case, I hope some of you enjoy them.

You all have a great Holiday season. Hope to get back to writing some orchestral music in January. I hope, I hope!

Cass

Death of the Beloved Music Box (music)
    Death of the Beloved Music Box (score)

Forever (music)
    Forever (score)

Re: ************2 sappy,simple,piano minatures*******************

Cass;
    i am happy to see you have posted these 2 pieces! I listened to both and was carried along by your sentiments and skillful playing. Your thematic material comes straight from the heart of American folk tradition and your smooth and accomplished style elevate the themes to a purified and refined level; clean, clear and honest!
    I look forward to more from you in the new year; these piano pieces could be nicely adapted to orchestra and I am sure you are brimming over with fresh ideas!

Thanks for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Mister Cass' fine music...

This is delightful music, Mister Cass!

You are a talented writer AND a very capable performer. I have always been a fan of your music.

Thank you for posting your beautiful creations.

My best to you.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Really nice pieces Cass. Some of our best music comes from introspective
    meditation.

You employed some nice musical enhancements in both pieces: some
    unexpected modulations, use of the deceptive or interrupted cadence,
    and, especially your "music box" imitation at the 2m mark of the Music
    Box miniature.

Great composing Cass. It's always a pleasure to hear your work.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

It's always a pleasure, Cass.

Two very lovely pieces, both beautifully done...
    each with just enough of the unexpected to
    mark them as products of your ever-inventive
    mind.

Well done, my friend, well done!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Cass,

As always, really nice music. I always enjoy your offerings, to the point where now when I see your name, I just download it and then listen ... I know up-front I want them to be part of my permanent library! You have an enormous heart and it always comes through in everything you create.

Regards,

Frank

PS: As always, thanks for the scores! I made a promise to myself (just short of a New Year's resolution ) that I will try and post an arrangement of my own before next New Years ... we'll see! Oh, and hang in there ... I read on Larry's thread just how ill you've been; I do hope and pray 2011 will be a more comfortable year for you.

Hi Cass,

It may take quite some time before we can hear something new from you,
    but it is always worthwhile the wait, sentimental or not…!

In both pieces you show your ability to turn events in your life
    into story telling through music.

In the ‘Music Box’ piece I can hear your regrets at having broken it,
    but also the fond memories and joy of playing with it. I like the transitions
    between the parts, the little ornamental notes and the deep low finish.

In ‘Forever’ one can clearly hear the journey you took to memory lane
    as it is filled with different nostalgic moments.

As always a pleasure to hear and I’m looking forward
    to your next musical offering.

~Yudit~

I'm like Frank, I always know... "this is gonna be good"

and it was!
    I particularly like Forever
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Cass;
    Your thematic material comes straight from the heart of American folk tradition.

These piano pieces could be nicely adapted to orchestra and I am sure you are brimming over with fresh ideas!

Thanks for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Hey Sd,

Glad you liked these. Enjoyed your comment on “American folk tradition”. Steven Foster was one of my favorites when I was young. Guess his influence still lingers within me and manifests itself from time to time.

We’re also on the same wavelength regarding orchestration. I too thought that the Music Box piece would be nicely realized in orchestral form, which I’ll probably do at a later date, because as you said, my active little mind is pouring over with ideas at this point and I need to get them all down on paper before they go poof in never-never land. I have terrible short-term memory.

Thanks again for your encouragement,

Cass

Re: Mister Cass' fine music...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    This is delightful music, Mister Cass!

You are a talented writer AND a very capable performer. I have always been a fan of your music.

Thank you for posting your beautiful creations.

My best to you.
    Larry,

Glad I could brighten your day a bit. I feel compelled to reciprocate after hearing your excellent compositions. Maybe someday I’ll be able to increase my output and keep the high standards going as you have managed to achieve with your writing. Until then, I’ll have to be content with sparatic creations.

Thanks for all support, past and present, so much appreciated.

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast