• Register
  • Help

Topic: Prelude nr.3 for solo piano

Share/Bookmark

Prelude nr.3 for solo piano

Hey!
    Long time no see, and I start my new year here on NorthernSounds by sharing my latest - a short and very simple piano prelude inspired by the changes in nature during the transition of seasons, specifically from autumn to winter.
    This time, not a link to box.net, but to YouTube (maybe I will get some feedback there as well!). Anyway, here.
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Prelude nr.3 for solo piano

Two things that shatter my old nerves:

1. A pattern that repeats over and over and over and over and...

2. And a work that doesn't end on the tonic...in your case, a major seventh! That leaves the listener hanging, waiting for a resolution.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Two things that shatter my old nerves:
    1. A pattern that repeats over and over and over and over and...
    2. And a work that doesn't end on the tonic...in your case, a major seventh! That leaves the listener hanging, waiting for a resolution.
    1. You could say the same about this. But everybody likes that.
    2. Everything doesn't have to end on the tonic.. and I intended to be the ending like that. The piece sort of takes you into the 'mood' and 'presence' (that's what I strived for anyway) and then it slowly leaves you with the pattern (that you didn't like), which is as it had been in the beginning, it just incorporates notes that aren't the usual 1st, 3rd and 5th (and the bass doubling the 1st..) and leaves the dissonance 'hanging' until it fades away al niente..
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

I don't usually get much time anymore to post in this forum, but alas, Larrys' post made me do it!

I dissagree on both accounts. The pattern in its simplicity works very well in this case and the minor chord coming on the 2/3rds of the way makes it all worth it.

The ending in major 7th is a direct result of the pattern and I don't mind it at all.

I think it all comes down to personal aesthetics, and obviously yours, Brindle, and Larrys' do not seem to get along really! But certainly, when providing feedback, if one intends to, should take away their personal feelings and habbits and attempt to give the fullest.

Brindle: The only things that kind of bothered me have to do with the performance and production rather than the compositional part. I found the piano to be much 'drier' than what I'm used to. That is with more reverb. Did you add any additional reverb to the Steinway (is it the Garritan Steinway?)

The second thing was the rhythm, which seemed to remain unaltered. Don't know if you performed it live, but it felt a little mechanical at places. I would've prefered a much more rubato take on it, but that's just a personal feeling rather than valid feedback as I mentioned it above!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    I don't usually get much time anymore to post in this forum, but alas, Larrys' post made me do it!

I dissagree on both accounts. The pattern in its simplicity works very well in this case and the minor chord coming on the 2/3rds of the way makes it all worth it.

The ending in major 7th is a direct result of the pattern and I don't mind it at all.

I think it all comes down to personal aesthetics, and obviously yours, Brindle, and Larrys' do not seem to get along really! But certainly, when providing feedback, if one intends to, should take away their personal feelings and habbits and attempt to give the fullest.

Brindle: The only things that kind of bothered me have to do with the performance and production rather than the compositional part. I found the piano to be much 'drier' than what I'm used to. That is with more reverb. Did you add any additional reverb to the Steinway (is it the Garritan Steinway?)

The second thing was the rhythm, which seemed to remain unaltered. Don't know if you performed it live, but it felt a little mechanical at places. I would've prefered a much more rubato take on it, but that's just a personal feeling rather than valid feedback as I mentioned it above!
    Thanks Reverb? Hmm I'm not sure, usually I prefer too much reverb compared to others, but this time I think I settled for a more reserved approach (in my opinion). Maybe that's why. I wouldn't like too much echo. Yet this piece uses a lot of sustained pedal.. so that's why it might sound queer for you.

About the tempo, I used tempotap to record it all the way through, and I was moderately satisfied with it, of course in a live interpretation the rubato would stand out more, I think. But it's just the way it turned out, I personally would perhaps only try some minor improvements here and there, not too much though.

Go Back to forum