• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which synth to design sounds for

Share/Bookmark

Which synth to design sounds for

I have been studying the different soft synths out here and am considering creating some 3rd party synth instruments. Many of the synths have similar sounds and others are quite unique. There is new synth out called Dune that has some interesting possibilities and I also like Alchemy by Camel for the use of samples to start from.
    If I go into this the question is what synth platform has the deeper customer base to market to. I'm not trying to recreate known instruments but , as with Camel, a sample can be morphed into some incredible sounds.
    I would also like to know what others are looking for in sounds that no one has right now or if most either create their own or just tweak the presets and don't need third party work.
    Thanks for any feed back Wyndham

Re: Which synth to design sounds for

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    <snip>what synth platform has the deeper customer base to market to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    I'm not trying to recreate known instruments <snip>
    a little feedback... I think you are on the right track. While there is still a market for synthesized versions of 'real' instruments, I think it's a niche market, so go with your instincts on that one.

As far as which platform, well I think your first question is only half the equation, a large customer base is a good thing. Other considerations should probably include:
    1) which platform do I know the best - always a good idea to lead with your strengths
    2) which platform is most often used for the kinds of patches I might create? If you can create awesome soundscapes with Pro-53 (just an extreme example), but no one ever really thinks about using Pro-53 for soundscapes, well, that might be a difficult thing to market.

I think there can never be too many people selling truly original patches. I tend to create most of my own myself, but as synths become ever more complex (Alchemy and Dimension come to mind) it is tempting to just buy a couple libraries!!!

Good luck!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Thanks for the reply.I was beginning to think I'd stepped off into a hole with this question.
    I'm leaning to Alchemy but both have strong points but that seems to be my rationale.
    Thanks again, hope others might still want to comment. Wyndham

Wyndam,

I think Alchemy is a great choice. It's a newer synth, popular, and is capable of sound great sounds.

You might also consider partnering with Camel audio and have them sell your 3 party sounds on their website which gives you a great marketing partner. I believe they do this with a few other 3rd party developers.

I think they also give away a basic version of the synth, but people have to buy sound banks to use with it, so that also is a nice edge for selling sounds.

You might try contacting them about the possibilities.

Make something amazing, and that will certainly help. ;-)

All the best...
    Bryan E. Miller
    Sensory Overload Music
    www.sensory-overload.com

Go Back to forum