• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a gift for the tutorial makers

a gift for the tutorial makers

In the "Giveaway of the day" page, today they are giving a Screenrecorder for make tutorials. I have not tryed it, but it looks good and have positive comments from users. For anyone interested:

just be aware that they offers are only for 24 hours and that they dont offer support or upgrades for the free programs.
    Marcelo Colina

Re: a gift for the tutorial makers

Nice, Marce! Thanks for letting us know about this.

I'm interested in trying this, because I've been trying various vid capture programs, and am disappointed with everything I've tried so far. I just finished my 30 day free trial of "SnagIt." I don't think I'm getting it ($50), because the vid capture part of the program was rather fundamental. SnagIt's strength is in straight screen capture with annotations - though I found some spotty implementation in that area too.

The free CamStudio is a headache - I've never made adequate videos with that.

I've been trying Debut Vid capture - has its problems.

NOW I've tried this one you posted - It's great that it's free, for a short period of time. "PCHand Screen Recorder."

If anyone else tries this PLEASE let me know about this:

--Recording just portions of the screen is what's needed most in tutorials. Full screen is OK for orienting the viewer as to what a program looks like, but you need to get in close to demonstrate how to use a program. So you need to select regions.

--With this PCHand program, when I go to select regions, the screen turns black!--I can select a portion of the screen - the portion I'm selecting is revealed. But that doesn't work - there's no way to see what you're aiming for! So to select the portion of a screen I wanted, I had to try over and over, and I never got it to be exactly the area I wanted.

SO - If anyone else is trying this, please let me know if the screen turns black for you when you go to select a region. It looks like a bug to me, or something not compatible on my system, or something--I can't see how they intended it to work this way.

Thanks Marce, this is a very useful program.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Also, for those on Mac OS X, QuickTime 10.0 and up includes a screen recorder. Just open the File menu and you'll see an option to create a new screen recording.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thanks Marce, this is a very useful program.
    Rich, since you're using the program, could you please let me know if you encounter the same problem I have?

When I go to select a region of the screen, it all goes black, and I can't see where I'm selecting. Once I'm actually making the selection, the screen appears within that region - but there's no way to see what I'm selecting until I'm actually doing it. I try over and over to aim my selection to the part of the screen I want, but it's all literally shooting in the dark, since the screen turns black as soon as I choose the region option.

Do you have that happening?

I haven't tried it yet but will and let you know what happens.

I did just try to run the screen recorder and capture as well. There are two individual programs. One is for recording the movements you make on screen and the second is for just capturing screen shots. They both worked for me and I got no black screen. I could see exactly what I was doing. Now, I only tested it by turning on record and then opening a browser and putting it into a window I created for the viewing area. It all went smoothly. The resulting avi file was clean and showed my mouse pointer with a yellow circle around it as I moved it in the movie.

I should probably try it in Sonar with a lot of computer resources being tied up and see if that may be the problem. Okay, Okay, I will go try that and let you know.

It worked just fine while running Sonar 8.5. I don't think it records sounds, at least the test I ran had no sound to it when I listened to playback. The files are large (25 MB for less than a minute record time), but I haven't read any of the manual or really gotten into it yet.

I experienced none of what you mentioned. There were no black screens or the inability to see what I was doing on the screen as you mentioned. All worked as I expected it to.

there is any kind of video file playing by Sonar Randy? What graphic card do you have?

about sound, i believe that if you use ASIO, you will not have luck recording it. but yes if you use MME.
    Marcelo Colina

Rich and Marce, thanks for the tests and follow ups on my questions about this program.

I have an Nvidia card. Its control panel says version 1.5.930.

I've run more tests - I didn't have any video running in Sonar, to answer your question, Marce. Today it's the same as yesterday. Once I click to choose a region, my entire screen goes black. I randomly select a region, and the portion of Sonar inside that region appears. But of course I can't be accurate with my selection since I was drawing in the dark.

Odd - Don't know why I'm getting that, but of course I couldn't do vids this way.

This PCHand Screen Recorder has so few controls, so it doesn't look like there's anywhere I can go to try different settings.

Sound - Rich, this program Does record sound, and you can do it with Asio drivers. I've tried so many different vid capture programs, this part I figured out some time ago. Here's what you do:

--Unplug the cords from your interface's outs.
    --Plug in different cords to those audio out ports.
    --Plug the other ends of these patch cords to the Ins of your interface.
    --Experiment with the levels, balancing the signal not only with the Gain controls but also the Direct and USB Monitor Mix.
    --Watch out for feedback!--You can easily get feedback squeal.

In other words - for a vid capture program to pick up the sound playing in programs like Sonar, you need to direct your interface's output signal back into itself.

For a tutorial, you would have a mike plugged in as well, experimenting with levels to mix the mike with music.

But the audio quality I got from this wasn't acceptable either. Crackles and pops, even at the highest resolution available.

So, that's my experimenting today with this. It looks like I'm having problems you guys aren't, but I don't know what else to try.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum