• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Foreign Affair

Share/Bookmark

Foreign Affair

Happy New Year!

I have no idea what comes over me sometimes; witness this, created with GPO4, JABB2, IK SampleTank 2.5 and my VSL choir.

Foreign Affair

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Foreign Affair

You've been busy lately, SD -- consistently
    turning out strong pieces.

Another interesting piece, well done.

The one suggestion I might make is lesser
    dependence on the strings. The pseudo-
    ostinato of that repeating string sequence
    works well to lay down a hypnotic, almost
    Middle Eastern entrancement; but you might
    try shifting the work around different colors
    to create more timbral contrast.

A good listen!

All the best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow very nice SD!
    Did not expect this... very colorful and intriguing.
    What inspired this?
    Great percussion, good balance and rendering.
    Sounds very professional.

Enjoyed.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    You've been busy lately, SD -- consistently
    turning out strong pieces.

Another interesting piece, well done.

The one suggestion I might make is lesser
    dependence on the strings. The pseudo-
    ostinato of that repeating string sequence
    works well to lay down a hypnotic, almost
    Middle Eastern entrancement; but you might
    try shifting the work around different colors
    to create more timbral contrast.

A good listen!

All the best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hello David!
    Thank you for listening and making your astute suggestion! In what is a precedent setting change of mind, based on listener comment, I have actually followed through and done as you said! In the sections where the voices chatter on, I have taken out the string sections, for the most part, only leaving the cellos. What remains is largely the soprano and the soprano choir. It is such a contrast between how and what the soprano is doing, and what the Afro voices are doing, it sounds a little spooky, and of course, those sections now contrast more with the full sound of the sections with solos.
    So, thank you for sharing your good judgment, it is appreciated!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Wow very nice SD!
    Did not expect this... very colorful and intriguing.
    What inspired this?
    Great percussion, good balance and rendering.
    Sounds very professional.

Enjoyed.

M
    Hi there Michael!
    Great to hear from you and thank you for listening to Foreign Affair!! What inspired the piece were the voices. They were in SampleTank; most of the time, you get like "hey baby" or other essentially useless one-timers. Because these were either in a language I don't understand, or just some sort of gibberish, it actually made them appealing. It seemed a reasonable experiment to try and use them, and it only make sense to me to want to use them with a bass and drums sound, but then seek contrast by using the orchestral background. David made a good suggestion to take the strings out of part of the piece, for variety. I tried this and have now updated the file to a version that is altered, in this way only, from the original. What now remains behind the voices, harmonically speaking, is just the VSL choir and Irina, which is the soprano vocal sample I've been using. I think this change increases the contrast in the piece, and I do believe contrast was a founding principle for this particular music.
    Are you still composing? If you are, I would enjoy hearing something, if the fancy strikes you.

Thank you for listening and I'm glad you liked it!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hey SD, I will take a listen to the up date.

LOL, yes I'm still composing! My gosh, it has been a long time since I've posted anything new.

The excuses are as follows: heath reasons, i'm better now, then I tried to open my own restaurant (down... but not out), then I was reworking 3 older pieces of music to fit a new standard of scoring I learned from composer Andrew McKenna Lee.

I am currently working on a new piece... only about 1/3 done.

Thank you for asking... Sorry to blab on about "me". You just made me think...

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Sd,

Well, I don't think I'm cool enough to comment - this is very suave music. And such a difference from some of your other posts! Had a lot of fun listening to this - my head is bobbing up and down as I write this! Nice use of the Brochin soundfont in the background, as opposed to making it front and center - smart choice. Really well rendered.

Still smiling!

All the best for the New Year.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Excellent! Very impressive!

Wow! Sd, this is impressive rendering, not to mention the piece itself.

It sounds like I'm right in the room listening to this in person. Really blown away by your technique.

Every time I hear one of your postings, it is so different in style and feel from the last, I can't believe it is the same person doing all of this. You are very talented to be able to conquer all these styles with stylish aplomb. I'm jealous, can you tell?

The balance of everything was perfect here. I like the patter (or whatever the technical word is, I'm so out of touch with terminology) in the background. Just the right balance there to produce a memorizing, intriguing, rich, texture.

Love all your musicality and gifted inspirations you possess, such a treat for me! and thanks so much for sharing them with all of us here!!!!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Sd,

Well, I don't think I'm cool enough to comment - this is very suave music. And such a difference from some of your other posts! Had a lot of fun listening to this - my head is bobbing up and down as I write this! Nice use of the Brochin soundfont in the background, as opposed to making it front and center - smart choice. Really well rendered.

Still smiling!

All the best for the New Year.
    Well Ron, you are very flattering and I am glad you enjoyed this new piece! It means so much to me to receive cheerful and positive feedback! I cannot stand to be on the same page for long, and as a result, bounce around myself, all the time. I jump from style to style for diversion and salvation. I will have great confidence one day, then great doubt, and I ride this exciting but terrible wave from one day to the next, with general consistency. I try to save myself from plummeting, with music. When I do a good job, the music grows legs and walks away. Jim Morrison of the Doors said, "...music is your only friend, until the end", but Miles Davis said ".....music has no friends".

Thank you for listening and for commenting, it means a lot!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast