• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: NEWS: NEMESYS/ReVALVER PLUG-IN DEAL SIGNED

Share/Bookmark

NEWS: NEMESYS/ReVALVER PLUG-IN DEAL SIGNED

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ReVALVER PLUG-IN FOR GIGASTUDIO TO LEVERAGE NFX KERNEL MODE DSP ARCHITECTURE

Austin, TX USA (May 11, 2001) — NemeSys and Alien Connections announced a joint-agreement today enabling NemeSys to distribute the ground-breaking ReValver music amplifier modeling effects processor for NFX based platforms. Alien Connections shall produce NFX-compatible software plug-ins, leveraging the zero timing latency, computational efficiency and rock solid performance unique to the NemeSys kernel mode DSP architecture.

\"The power of the Alien Connections product will now finally be realized in an extremely playable package for guitarists, synthesists, and sampling enthusiasts ”says Jim Van Buskirk, President of NemeSys Music Technology, Inc.. “Boasting the quality and playability of the finest amps and effect processors, ReValver NFX edition will render the DSP hardware vs. software debate irrelevant.”

“Let’s face it, NemeSys has redefined the expectation of software sampling to an all time high. Now that same real time expertise is being applied to DSP, and Alien Connections wishes to be a major part of that,” said Michael Ljunggren, President Alien Connections Sweden.

Unlike other popular plug-in architectures for software effects and musical instruments that run at a high level on top of many layers of software, the NemeSys NFX architecture runs “close to the metal” at the low level kernel of the operating system. This fundamental difference matches the architectural design of dedicated hardware DSP processors, giving NFX products the same latency, throughput and robustness.

System requirements include an NFX-based GigaStudio 96 or 160 system, a Win9x or WinMe based system to GigaStudio specifications, and a GSIF compatible sound card with MIDI. For additional information including a list of available GSIF sound cards, visit www.NemesysMusic.com .

Founded in 1996 and based in Austin, Texas (New Media Systems) NEMESYS MUSIC TECHNOLOGY, INC . is a leading producer of authoring and delivery systems for the Audio, Music, and Multimedia Markets. NemeSys has core expertise in audio DSP, media streaming technology, disk engine technology, PC system programming and architecture, user interface design, and product development. For more information, visit NemeSys\'s web site at www.NemesysMusic.com.

Alien Connections Sweden is a Stockholm based startup company. The aim of the company is to do research in the field of signal processing in both software and hardware. This includes ASIC/FPGA design and verification via consulting services and custom signal processing designs in both hardware and software. Some software has been made publicly available, currently covering audio signal processing. www.AlienConnections.com ###

Re: NEWS: NEMESYS/ReVALVER PLUG-IN DEAL SIGNED

I bought the DirectX version of ReValver, months before it was included in Sonar... What I want to know is: How much MORE am I going to have to pay for an NFX version??? Time to write to Alien Connections....

How does this fit in with future plans for GigaStudio working on Windows XP or 2000. These operating systems do not allow kernal mode programs to run on them. That is why Cakewalk is going to DXi instruments. DXi instruments work with DirectX 8.0 allowing low latency. Personally, I want to move to Windows XP as soon as possible. I love the stability of Windows 2000 which I use on many machines at work without any problems unless the hardware breaks (hard drive crashes mostly).

Very good news! I have been waiting for such a move - congratulations!

Will there be a Bass-amplifier/speaker simulator too?

When will the first products ship?

Thomas

[This message has been edited by SCARBEE (edited 05-12-2001).]

So is this the first 3rd party NFX plug? I still wish they\'d just support VST plugins. I monitor live input through VST FX all the time and can\'t discern a latency difference between these and hardware (I ususally run VST with 3 ms latency, I\'d be surprised if NFX is substantially better).

In fact my setup does allow me to monitor gigasampler through VST; with my digital mixer I just bring the GS channel back in a group and apply FX there. Still no problem with latency, and a lot of the free VST FX are really good.

And Thomas, I also have an FX send to a Sansamp, your bass does sound pretty cool through that...

>How does this fit in with future plans for GigaStudio working on Windows XP or 2000. These operating systems do not allow kernal mode programs to run on them. That is why Cakewalk is going to DXi instruments.>

Haydn, the NFX DSP architecture does indeed allow for kernel mode processing in Windows XP. In contrast, the big three sequencer companies all have their plug-in architectures sitting on top of the OS in the application space, including DXi. The NFX architecture provides a fundamental difference, but that doesn\'t mean that there isn\'t plenty of inaccurate information being communicated - which can smear this simple fact.

SCARBEE, I have played my wife\'s Rickenbacker through ReVALVER with great success - (OK, what\'s a drummer doing holding with a Ricky anyway?) The NFX ReVALVER is targeted for a Fall release.

Sam, there are several developers now working on NFX products. The installed base has grown tremendously in the last year, and the market is hungry for NFX. We recognize that, and will offer only the finest products.

As far as your user mode plug-in setup, remember that the 3ms setting is only the final h/w buffer size. The actual latency must consider all stages of the audio chain, from input all the way through all chained effects, add to that the MIDI latency (if it is a plug-in instrument), then there are stages of buffering to safely get you through the user mode. After all that, the 3ms can then be added times the number of stages between the read and write pointers.

To put it simply, there are NO hardware DSP processors that are implemented within a high level OS. They all have low level, hard real time, highly optimized scheduling kernels that run at the same level as the NFX architecture, albeit a different processor and OS. In strict architecture terms, they are the same.

JWink, we will look into your situation, however we expect the NFX version, due to the architecture, to be significantly better.

[This message has been edited by Jim Van Buskirk (edited 05-12-2001).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Van Buskirk:
    SCARBEE, I have played my wife\'s Rickenbacker through ReVALVER with great success - (OK, what\'s a drummer doing holding with a Ricky anyway

Bravo - this has been a major wish for me and my bass libraries!

I use the Rickenbacker a lot on film/commercial jobs. A lovely \"swamped\" boomy sound. I would love to sample that next year...

Good work Jim!

Thomas

Jim, I think you either miss my point or are deliberately avoiding it. As long as overall latency is under about 10ms, I find real time monitoring to be fine, pretty much undetectable. I believe 10ms corresponds to about 7 feet at the speed of sound, ever play guitar with the amp more than 7 feet away?

My 3ms figure is the vst output buffer latency, with which the audio output is flawless. I can set this latency down to 1.5 ms, which will work fine often but perhaps not under all loads. I have no idea what the input and output buffer latencies are into VST and between FX, nor whether such delays are added to my output latency or taken into account. In practice it\'s a non-issue, they are \'playably\' fast, and I am sensitive to keyboard response or voice latencies or whatever. Anyway, the most common FX are delay based anyway (delay, reverb, chorus, flange). Most reverbs sound best with 25 ms or more of predelay.

Can kernel mode FX give you better latency? Sure, they better. But I for one am not clamoring for yet another plug-in standard. I believe GS would be better served by the quality and breadth of VST plugs, and I\'d rather purchase such plugs that can work in a wide variety of audio applications.

Anyway, this is not a huge point for me, my system has pretty excellent support for GS (beyond what most people can do I suspect, ie I can rewire any programs through vst) so I can play GS through VST anyway.

BTW, I am familiar with the advantages of kernel mode drivers, I\'ve made a living doing unix device drivers and real time communication software. And I do appreciate what gigasamplers kernel extensions bring me, which has been great responsivness and total reliability (see I\'m not down on GS, it\'s a superior product).

There is one exception though - My system can\'t play the game Descent 3 with the GS kernel extensions loaded, that will lock it up consistenly. My video card has 3D accelleration with kernel enhancements too and apparently there\'s some conflict with all this real time stuff that will always lock it up in < 10 minutes. No biggie, games and some video acceleration have gotten the boot from this system, but it just shows that too much real time kernel stuff can lead to conflicts. I\'ll also note that VST has never crashed on me, people slag on Steinberg, but I also think they do first rate work.

cheers,
    -sam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Van Buskirk:
    >
    Haydn, the NFX DSP architecture does indeed allow for kernel mode processing in Windows XP. In contrast, the big three sequencer companies all have their plug-in architectures sitting on top of the OS in the application space, including DXi. The NFX architecture provides a fundamental difference, but that doesn\'t mean that there isn\'t plenty of inaccurate information being communicated - which can smear this simple fact.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but the fact is they are working. I don\'t give a hoot about kernel mode techno-babble. This should be about working solutions. Empirically speaking the VSTi/ASIO and DXi/WDM implimentations are just as tight from a low latency perspective as GSIF. And they are already on Win2k. Talk tough after you deliver the goods.

-david abraham

>I don\'t give a hoot about kernel mode techno-babble. Empirically speaking the VSTi/ASIO and DXi/WDM implimentations are just as tight from a low latency perspective as GSIF. And they are already on Win2k. Talk tough after you deliver the goods.>

D.A. Fenton, most musicians that I know do certainly give a hoot about the ability to have 160 streaming audio voices with excellent playability (low-latency), all with high quality interpolation, resonant filtering, envelopes, etc. and with a half dozen or so effects running all concurrently on a 800 Mhz system (like my Dell 4100 at home, which is about an $800 system these days.

If there is any other host based software system on the planet which can deliver this level of real time streaming and DSP performance, then peace. Otherwise, it seems only fair to say that NemeSys has indeed delivered the goods (i.e. an architecture which can support this level of system stress without compromising playability)and is continually advancing the features to make additional use of this excellent architecture. The techno babble is just an attempt to provide an explanation why we feel the NFX architecture is needed for a high performance sampling system.

[This message has been edited by Jim Van Buskirk (edited 05-13-2001).]

Go Back to forum