• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Worlds Within Worlds

Share/Bookmark

Worlds Within Worlds

The spirals was just a study. But, it grew into a full piece. If you'd like, here is the whole work after several revisions and comments from you. I will post the pdf when I get a chance.

Worlds With Worlds

Best,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Worlds Within Worlds

Hi Bill,

I listened to both version (the sketch, Spirals, and this
    fuller version) last week, but hadn't had time to comment.

Aside from the obvious merits of the innovative thinking behind
    it, perhaps the most pertinent comment I might make is
    toward the length. Perhaps it is my leanings lately toward
    concision (and perhaps I sway too far, that way) -- but I
    personally found the lean and forthright Spirals the more
    satisfying execution of the ideas.

Overall, though, either way -- I hope you'll work further with
    the conceptual angles exposed, here... a lot of promising
    terrain, there.

You're often amongst the more intellectually daring amongst
    us, Bill, and I most definitely appreciate and admire that!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Hi Bill,

I listened to both version (the sketch, Spirals, and this
    fuller version) last week, but hadn't had time to comment.

Aside from the obvious merits of the innovative thinking behind
    it, perhaps the most pertinent comment I might make is
    toward the length. Perhaps it is my leanings lately toward
    concision (and perhaps I sway too far, that way) -- but I
    personally found the lean and forthright Spirals the more
    satisfying execution of the ideas.

Overall, though, either way -- I hope you'll work further with
    the conceptual angles exposed, here... a lot of promising
    terrain, there.

You're often amongst the more intellectually daring amongst
    us, Bill, and I most definitely appreciate and admire that!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David, I always appreciate your insights. The piece is actually a work in progress. I intend on getting my axe out and do a little chopping and then repair work. Much of it is too repetitive being a result of the simplistic "Cut and Paste" syndrome. I am going to re-work those repetitive area by (excuse the phrase) "Slicing and Dicing". I feel it needs a bit more branching - after all not all tree limbs are the same.

Again, thanks for the insight. I will post as I get a better composition. I like where it is going, I just want to take a 'different road'.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    The spirals was just a study. But, it grew into a full piece. If you'd like, here is the whole work after several revisions and comments from you. I will post the pdf when I get a chance.

Worlds With Worlds

Best,
    Bill
    Just two very quick impressions:
    • The "outer sections" sound a bit like Roy Harris.
    • The ending just seem to end, left me wanting more of an "conclusion" than a re-statement of what went before.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
    Just two very quick impressions:
    • The "outer sections" sound a bit like Roy Harris.
    • The ending just seem to end, left me wanting more of an "conclusion" than a re-statement of what went before.

Hmm, I'll have to look up Roy Harris. I agree with your comment and am working on a solution, it was a re-statement and I thought I was ending with a quiet return, but it also leaves me waiting to see the ending. So far, I am just waiting...

best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill,

I enjoyed Spirals, and I like this, as well. I do think that the alternating episodes are quite good, but they get a little too predictable - or perhaps its that they happen too many times? Also, it might help if there was were more shifts in the tonal center(s) between the episodes. These are just suggestions - there are many good and beautiful things here. The opening figure is lovely, and the comment about Roy Harris is apt. Not a bad guy to be compared to!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Bill,

I enjoyed Spirals, and I like this, as well. I do think that the alternating episodes are quite good, but they get a little too predictable - or perhaps its that they happen too many times? Also, it might help if there was were more shifts in the tonal center(s) between the episodes. These are just suggestions - there are many good and beautiful things here. The opening figure is lovely, and the comment about Roy Harris is apt. Not a bad guy to be compared to!

All the best,
    I am in agreement and have done some of the things you suggested. I do like the tonal shift which I have incorporated. I did look up Roy Harris, a native of Oklahoma. I saw that he had gone abroad to study with Nadia Boulange in France (same teacher who worked with Stravinsky, Carter and Copland among many others.)

Thanks for your ideas. I always look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best Regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Well, this music is a little beyond my analytical skills but I really liked it.

As just an average listener I'm not sure if I liked the bassoon drone by itself. Maybe if it was performed with a live orchestra it would be different. I was hearing a modified sound using a synth. This is probably heresy but just an idea.

Phil

The similarities with Spirals are obvious, so I'll try to add to preceding comments. Listening to Worlds within Worlds (www?) I wondered if it refers to the world of music itself, in an abstract way. Some part could be a distant cousin of Stravinksy's evocation of pagan rituals, other parts sound vaguely native American, other parts were more Feldman, so I half interpreted it as a musical commentary on music, a world within a world.

Anyway, I think it's a good extension of the spiral seed, and the ending now comes as a sort of acceptance, as if the fight between the two themes is over (although in that interpretation the drone loses...).

Challenging, but truly worthwhile.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Well, this music is a little beyond my analytical skills but I really liked it.

As just an average listener I'm not sure if I liked the bassoon drone by itself. Maybe if it was performed with a live orchestra it would be different. I was hearing a modified sound using a synth. This is probably heresy but just an idea.
    Phil

Thanks for the listen, Phil. Well, the bassoon(s) - they take turns - are doubled in the cellos and basses and they are there to hold the ground floor for the action above. And you are right, I think I have created a new instrument, the Cellassoon.

The piece is going through a 'metamorphosis' now as I re-write to create a bit more ambiguity and extend the ideas a bit further from the original tonal bases. I though it was a complete piece, but after my music seminar, I decided it need a little 'threshing'.

To Be Continued...

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast