• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question for Nick Phoenix and other sample CD makers

Share/Bookmark

Question for Nick Phoenix and other sample CD makers

Hey Nick and others,
    Do you think in the future it would be possible to buy individual sounds from your libraries?
    Nick, for instance, I love all of your sounds I have heard on the demo of Rare Instruments but I doubt I would ever have use for bagpipes, irish whistle, and a Hurdy Gurdy (which by the way sound incredible regardless ). I would however love to have those fantastic tablas, Taiko drums and Indian bowed instruments.
    Maybe in the future people who don\'t have a lot of money for entire CD collections could pay whatever price for a giga sample and download it from a website.
    I know it might sound like a lot to ask, but I just thought I\'d give it a shot.
    Cheers

Re: Question for Nick Phoenix and other sample CD makers

Read the post Drum Kit Madness (just a few post down) and you may be sorry you ask that.

Oooooooo.....

Drum Roll, the curtains part, a hush falls over the audience, the spot light\'s flash on, and a deep voice announces....

\"Wellcommmmmme, Ladies aaaaand Gentlemen, to Round TWOOOOO of the Forum Marathon!\"

A stir bristles through the audience, will it be 300 posts this time, or maybe 1000?

\"Sample Developers take your placessssss,\" the hosts effected voice sings out. \"Prepare to fight the tide of public opinion.... AGAINnnnnn!\"

The audience hangs in wonder.... will Nick (the King Canute of sample developers) come out again and tell the tide to go back? We are waiting........

These are the odds for any bets people might want to take...

1) 10/9 Nick & Gang ignore Damon\'s question and do the ostrich instead, hoping it\'ll all go away.

2) 10/7 Nick comes out, guns blazing, and tells Damon he\'s a whore, a beggar, who should just accept his place in life as a doormat for others to walk on.

3) 10/5 Someone from the Gang refers Damon to the previous post-athon

4) 500/1 Nick replies, `I see your point, and after the previous post-athon, I\'m taking measures to make instruments available on an individual basis`.

5) 1000/1 The whole Gang puts their hands in the air and say\'s `It\'s a fair cop`. To which representatives of Rhodes, Fender, Roland, Steinway, etc all burst into the room and arrest them for theft. Newspapers read.... \"Theives make bundle off stolen property\".

Good God I didnt mean to start anything here, I just thought maybe it might be a good idea.
    When I mentioned dowloading it from a website, I meant the manufacturers website, not some whack pirated **** in Russia or Siberia or whatever. I definitely don\'t like being called a beggar or a whore Gigadigga either (although when I was 21 I\'d have to say I did whore around quite a bit). If no one wants to write a reply to this post or has nothing nice to say, don\'t say it. I don\'t want to start a stupid flame war. I didnt mean to make anyone mad. I\'ve paid for many a library and was just offering an option that I thought would be cool sometime in the future, but if it\'s gonna stir up Donnie and the rest of the gang up, forget I mentioned it.
    Sorry I didnt read the 200 posts on this subject mentioned before.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 05-11-2001).]

To address Damon\'s point...With the DDSWW and the DD Solo Brass, I purposely delegated 1 instrument per disk. This way I built in the ability to sell single instruments or the entire set as a whole. However, if you have multiple instruments per disk, it makes the process difficult. Assume that maybe 15 instruments make up 1 disk\'s worth of data. How do you offer 1 or 2 of those instruments without having to burn single CD\'s for people? I think giving people an option to either buy the entire set or singly as 1 instrument per disk is about the only affordable way I can think to market product. Personally, I just don\'t have the time to separate out instruments and send them out. There are more libraries to make and other work to do. After the initial investment in time and capital, producers need to move on to the next project.

Sincerely,
    DD

>There are more libraries to make and other work to do. After the initial investment in time and capital, producers need to move on to the next project.

Hey, if you can afford to move on then great! But the fact is, alot of sample devlopers are losing REVENUE based on the fact that users (like myself) can\'t continue to afford to buy complete libraries, when they really only need a few or perhaps just 1 sound from the library. Sample developers that build their business model on catering to the smaller Giga users will no doubt survive longer than those that do not. After all, with prices dropping all the time on hardware, the market is going to get saturated with alot of novice musicians. (like myself....)

I think everyone needs a vacation!

Donnie

An appeal like this makes me wish I had seperate instruments available. I just don\'t have time to deal with it. I wish gigadiga would cut me some slack.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gigaDiga:
    Oooooooo.....

Drum Roll, the curtains part, a hush falls over the audience, the spot light\'s flash on, and a deep voice announces....

\"Wellcommmmmme, Ladies aaaaand Gentlemen, to Round TWOOOOO of the Forum Marathon!\"

A stir bristles through the audience, will it be 300 posts this time, or maybe 1000?

\"Sample Developers take your placessssss,\" the hosts effected voice sings out. \"Prepare to fight the tide of public opinion.... AGAINnnnnn!\"

The audience hangs in wonder.... will Nick (the King Canute of sample developers) come out again and tell the tide to go back? We are waiting........

These are the odds for any bets people might want to take...

1) 10/9 Nick & Gang ignore Damon\'s question and do the ostrich instead, hoping it\'ll all go away.

2) 10/7 Nick comes out, guns blazing, and tells Damon he\'s a whore, a beggar, who should just accept his place in life as a doormat for others to walk on.

3) 10/5 Someone from the Gang refers Damon to the previous post-athon

4) 500/1 Nick replies, I see your point, and after the previous post-athon, I\'m taking measures to make instruments available on an individual basis.

5) 1000/1 The whole Gang puts their hands in the air and say\'s It\'s a fair cop. To which representatives of Rhodes, Fender, Roland, Steinway, etc all burst into the room and arrest them for theft. Newspapers read.... \"Theives make bundle off stolen property\".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At last...!
    gigaDiga forgets unspeak, and speaks.

Chew that fence post.

Crisis or opportunity?

I love your sick symbol Nick... there must be some excellent ninja typing involved in making him.

The butcher cut off 10 ounces of slack and passed it to the old lady. \"I\'m gonna make a lovely casserol with it,\" she jibbered ,\"and then if I\'ve any left over I\'m going to paint it pink and tie it to the back of my bicycle\".

;(-^.* (I wonder what that\'ll look like!)

Go Back to forum