• Register
  • Help

Topic: Project SAM horn vs sustain

Share/Bookmark

Project SAM horn vs sustain

I've just discovered that the sustain / legato control has a very noticeable effect on the timbre of the Project SAM French horns. Is this intentional? It makes the horn sound tinny - almost muted. Mixing slurred and non slurred notes (using the legato function) makes a very unnatural sound.

I ran into this using Sibelius6.2 + GPO4. It's less noticeable with Finale + GPO4 (depending somewhat on the "Human Playback" settings), but it is apparent just using the stand-alone Aria console so I know it's not (just) a Sibelius problem.

Pat

Re: Project SAM horn vs sustain

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    I've just discovered that the sustain / legato control has a very noticeable effect on the timbre of the Project SAM French horns. Is this intentional? It makes the horn sound tinny - almost muted. Mixing slurred and non slurred notes (using the legato function) makes a very unnatural sound.

I ran into this using Sibelius6.2 + GPO4. It's less noticeable with Finale + GPO4 (depending somewhat on the "Human Playback" settings), but it is apparent just using the stand-alone Aria console so I know it's not (just) a Sibelius problem.

Pat
    Yep, ran into the same problem myself. Seems to be a problem in the sampling, and I'm not sure what could be done except to apply some EQ to attenuate the upper frequencies. As for myself, I gave up on the Project SAM brass -- just a little too "over the top" for my tastes. I'm sticking with the regular brass patches. That's just my personal preference, though, so take it for what it's worth.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    ... I gave up on the Project SAM brass -- just a little too "over the top" for my tastes. I'm sticking with the regular brass patches.
    Steve
    Good! It's not just me. I really liked the sound of the horn but I don't know how to deal with this without more work than it's worth. I guess I'll got back to the old ones, too.

Pat

I've noticed similar oddities as well. Sometimes the horns start sounding like alto saxaphones. It's really irritating. I love the sound of those horns for the most part, but sometimes they're not really usable.

I suspect solo horns may not have been Project SAM's top priority, and a "cinematic" sound is not what I'm after anyway. (I don't recall the last time I heard a wind quintet as sound track for a movie. But then, I don't watch movies. )

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    I suspect solo horns may not have been Project SAM's top priority, and a "cinematic" sound is not what I'm after anyway. (I don't recall the last time I heard a wind quintet as sound track for a movie. But then, I don't watch movies. )

Pat
    Exactly -- that was the "over the top" sound I mentioned. Of course, the Project SAM library was originally developed to be used for film and video/computer game music, so I guess this was to be expected. I wouldn't even use the Project SAM brass in GPO 4 for "regular" symphonic duties as I find their sound characteristics are a bit too jarring compared to GPO's other orchestral instruments. Once again that's my personal preference, though.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

This is one of the issues with the legato mode. The original SAM solo sessions brass doesn't have a legato mode. So they weren't sampled with the legato mode in mind. I usually like to use less legato playing with this instrument.

Jim

Go Back to forum