• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Northern Sounds - a big reason the Forum is slow

Share/Bookmark

Northern Sounds - a big reason the Forum is slow

It really didn't sink in fully until today. I've noticed this problem before, but now I understand - One major reason the Forum is much less active than it used to be is because we're not having reliable email notification service.

Prior to that last big change of Northern Sounds' site design, I was always getting auto-email for every new post on threads I had looked at. Now I will spasmodically get notification, but usually not. I'm not the only one who has commented on this.

Consistently, for months now, I'll come to the Forum and see that there are posts I haven't seen because I wasn't alerted.

It makes keeping in the loop with current conversations pretty much impossible. None of us sit here with the Forum open all day, constantly refreshing the page to see if new messages are in. We rely on getting emails about new posts. Without them - we don't know there are replies we want to see, questions being asked of us etc.

It's really very bad. And I don't find it any leap in logic to say that because Northern Sounds has a problem with their system, our Forum has suffered greatly because of it. We aren't kept in touch with what's happening here, and so we don't post as often as we used to.

And that, my friends, is a Very Big Drag.

Disgruntled in Oregon
    Randy B.

Re: Northern Sounds - a big reason the Forum is slow

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    It really didn't sink in fully until today. I've noticed this problem before, but now I understand - One major reason the Forum is much less active than it used to be is because we're not having reliable email notification service.

Prior to that last big change of Northern Sounds' site design, I was always getting auto-email for every new post on threads I had looked at. Now I will spasmodically get notification, but usually not. I'm not the only one who has commented on this.

Consistently, for months now, I'll come to the Forum and see that there are posts I haven't seen because I wasn't alerted.

It makes keeping in the loop with current conversations pretty much impossible. None of us sit here with the Forum open all day, constantly refreshing the page to see if new messages are in. We rely on getting emails about new posts. Without them - we don't know there are replies we want to see, questions being asked of us etc.

It's really very bad. And I don't find it any leap in logic to say that because Northern Sounds has a problem with their system, our Forum has suffered greatly because of it. We aren't kept in touch with what's happening here, and so we don't post as often as we used to.

And that, my friends, is a Very Big Drag.

Disgruntled in Oregon
    Randy B.
    Oh, man -- you hit the nail on the head! Call me Mr. Dim, but until I saw your post, I didn't give much thought to why Northern Sounds doesn't do what pretty much every other forum on the planet does. I've been on Yahoo Groups and Google Groups for years, and the choice of e-mail, digest e-mail and web-only is a standard part of their subscription service. Offering the choice is good because some people may not want
    e-mail notifications all the time. However, I totally agree that the lack of an e-mail component to the forum is a huge oversight on the part of Northern Sounds.

I can't imagine that this would be terribly difficult to implement. The questions would be a. is it expensive? and b. how many of us would Northern Sounds have to hear from before they actually did it? Now that Mr. Garritan is with us again, maybe he could bring some influence to bear on the matter. In any case we need to try and do something here. This forum offers way too much to let it languish the way it has.

Randy, kudos for putting this on the table, and I hope it gets a lot of response from like-minded people!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Hi, Steve - Thanks for your reply.

I'm hastening to correct something - Northern Sounds does have auto-email notification. What I'm saying is that it doesn't work. I start threads, I reply on threads, and get no notification. I have to come here, hunt around to find posts, and I know I miss things since I didn't get the email.

It used to work fine - And the Forum was busier then, because everyone was getting notified and being able to keep up.

This isn't the Only reason the Forum is so dead, but I am positive it's a major factor.

NS admins, if you see this post, please take it seriously. Time after time people tell me they don't know what's happening because they don't get emails, they don't get notified about PMS - And that's my experience too. I randomly get Some emails - but not in any reliable fashion. Something is broken, and I sure hope it can be fixed. It's been like this ever since the social network links etc were added.

Randy

Oops! Guess I should've been paying attention before I "shot from the lip." In any case, the lack of functioning e-mail notification is a serious problem, so I hope NS will take it seriously and fix it soon.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

None of us sit here with the Forum open all day, constantly refreshing the page to see if new messages are in.
    Uh, we don't do this? Oops

Just kidding. Yes, I have noticed this and just thought it was servers or cyber-pirates or just plain lost in cyberland. But, I do get my yahoo notices regularly and had not really thought much about this site. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Randy. Is there something, we as a group, can do?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I have commented on the fact that I haven't been receiving "auto-email
    notification" for over 2 years. Before, it was real easy to keep up with
    threads that I replied to. Now, I have to keep going back and back and
    back again to see if anyone has replied to my reply or for other reasons.

To put it mildly, I don't have the time to keep going back.......

Onward......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for the replies, guys. This thread is a perfect example. I started the thread, but haven't gotten any notifications about the new posts. I came here out of curiosity to see if anyone had responded - and now I see your posts.

I know it's not a new issue, we've had this problem for a long time. I got in a feisty mood and decided to place the subject prominently on the board. Probably won't do any good, but you gotta try.

NS used to be a good server for the Forum - Why don't the admins realize their email alert system is broken--??

Randy

...and the washed-out, dim, unimaginative smilies suck too.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    ...and the washed-out, dim, unimaginative smilies suck too.

Regards,
    It's all your fault Larry: When we listen to your music, it always puts such bright smiles on our faces that it simply dulled-out these little wimpy suckers! (three of 'em and they're still not bright enough!!)

Randy, et al: Nice job at least bringing it all up ... I can't sing, but I'll join the chorus on this one: It stinks not getting the auto-messages!

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    It's all your fault Larry: When we listen to your music, it always puts such bright smiles on our faces that it simply dulled-out these little wimpy suckers! (three of 'em and they're still not bright enough!!)

Randy, et al: Nice job at least bringing it all up ... I can't sing, but I'll join the chorus on this one: It stinks not getting the auto-messages!

Regards,

Frank
    Hi, Frank - Thanks for the post. I'm glad I put the spotlight on the problem of NS's notification being broken, because, DAng, I'm one of the Forum members who can remember what it was like when this place was hoppin'. We would consistently get our email notifications, we'd jump in here to add to whatever thread it was we were participating in - and it was great.

There are numerous factors as to why the Forum isn't the way it used to be, but I am certain that it's a pretty big detriment to participation when the members don't even know when there's activity on the threads they're interested in.

I mean - dang!

Randy

Go Back to forum