• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Beefing up my library: what to buy?

Beefing up my library: what to buy?

Beefing up my orchestral library.
    I'm an electronic music producer who wants to start doing more traditional / orchestral compositions for my portfolio and I'm not sure my collection is complete enough for this. Initially I want to do more intimate stuff and then move on to a bigger 'Hollywood' sound.
    I have the following products:

LASS Lite
    LASS First Chair
    Project SAM Symphobia 1
    VSL Epic Horns
    Native Instruments Kontakt 4
    Indiginus Accoustic Guitar
    Tonehammer Emotional Piano
    Tonehammer Montclarion Piano
    Tonehammer Liberis (Feb 1st)
    Miroslav Philharmonik
    Spectrasonics Omnisphere
    Spectrasonics Trilian

I have about $700 to spend. Where do you reckon I should put this?

Re: Beefing up my library: what to buy?

Hello hubiedubie!

Your library list looks most comprehensive - don`t spend

I would definitely work with the ones you have, and believe me, its a few years at least till you feel overgrowth.
    You have fine selection of vienna sounds in your Kontakt package - you can start by reading online materials about mixing treatments they need (it has dry samples). There are many great things you can do with those.
    Next - Miroslav has very interesting solo instruments in there, if you are after intimate - try to get familiar with them (there is a nice Bach Badinerie demo on their site - should give you an idea). Their section instruments could also offer some goodness of course.

Lass solo - in my personal view, wouldn`t be a hit once exposed in a chamber manner, but definitely can serve well in a mix with other stuff. Sections from Lite can give you a great strings backup for some cross-over arrangements (and you should definitely try this also, since you come from modern music).

Symphobia - the sweet cherry in your list - I am charmed by the presence this sound has. It sounds even better then their previous brass collection to my ears.
    It has different structure, and you should not start your training with it, until you`ve done 3-4 mockups with the regular libs you have, and got some background on how things work in orchestra.
    But when you feel like really getting into it, and begin to starve for those timbral nuances Symphobia can offer, don`t be afraid to treat it classically, and intimately, and "Hollywoodish" - it certainly can serve you well if you know what you are after.

Thanks Vladzakr,
    This is a great tip. I'll put the money towards Orchestration lessons or a similar course. I haven't played with Miroslav Philharmonik much (it came with a bundle that I purchased a few years ago ). So I'll check it out. What are the orchestral samples that come with Kontakt 4 like ? My copy hasn't arrived yet.

Victoria, Canada

QL Pianos
    EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus
    Symphobia 2
    More than $700 of course, but things to consider when funds are available.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Hollywood strings is probably worth a look if you haven't checked it out already.

Hollywood strings is probably worth a look if you haven't checked it out already.

There's a gold version for about $700, and has the option to later upgrade to the full version should you ever wish to do so when funds become available.

also, i think you can get HS for half price if you qualify (student, teacher, church, etc.)

not sure if you would be any of those, but if so - don't miss out.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

EW is having a 50% off sales right now...

Thanks for the tips guys. Would I really need Hollywood Strings when I alread have LASS Lite and Symphobia? Would I not be better off with a Brass library like VSL Brass/ Dimensions Brass or Project SAM Brass?

Currently thinking is that I may hold off unless there's something huge missing from what I have.

From those I've talked to, and just listening to the demos, HS is leaps and bounds ahead of LASS and Symphobia. I've heard things done with that library that no other could even attempt to replicate.

Go Back to forum