• Register
  • Help

Topic: sustain pedal used for GPO choir chords continuously held

Share/Bookmark

sustain pedal used for GPO choir chords continuously held

Hi everyone,
    a great friend has emailed me a question but I don't have an answer for him.

He says...

"how can I activate the "sustain" ... using my physical foot pedal, which works with other of ARIA patches ... specifically the "full choir lite KS" or the "cellos KS" ? Gotta be a way ...."

I loaded ARIA in Digital Performer and sure enough, the sustain pedal does not hold chords as it does on a real piano.

We all know that this is the way some folks like to just put ideas into their sequencer.
    Is there a way?
    Thanks guys and dolls!
    Dan

Re: sustain pedal used for GPO choir chords continuously held

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi everyone,
    a great friend has emailed me a question but I don't have an answer for him.

He says...

"how can I activate the "sustain" ... using my physical foot pedal, which works with other of ARIA patches ... specifically the "full choir lite KS" or the "cellos KS" ? Gotta be a way ...."

I loaded ARIA in Digital Performer and sure enough, the sustain pedal does not hold chords as it does on a real piano.

We all know that this is the way some folks like to just put ideas into their sequencer.
    Is there a way?
    Thanks guys and dolls!
    Dan
    I can confirm that a pedal doesn't sustain the Choir, or the Cellos. But at least the latter interprets the sustain pedal as the Garritan Legato effect, not regular sustain.

I don't know why you said "the sustain pedal does not hold chords as it does on a real piano."--- Your friend wasn't asking about the piano--But the sustain pedal Does work on the various Garritan pianos, in a normal piano action sustain way.

Meanwhile, perhaps you could suggest to your friend that he just makes sure his notes are of the duration he wants. That has the same aural effect as a sustain pedal.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

I don't know why you said "the sustain pedal does not hold chords as it does on a real piano."--- Your friend wasn't asking about the piano--But the sustain pedal Does work on the various Garritan pianos, in a normal piano action sustain way.

Randy
    Hi Randy, I am aware that cc64 works properly with the GPO piano, but he wants the sustain pedal to hold chords that he is playing on his midi keyboard like the sustain pedal treats the piano. He plays this way just for sketches, and it is aggravating to him that when he plays a chord with the choir sound, even though he has the sustain pedal pressed, the chords quit playing when he releases the keys to go to the next chord (legato). I can appreciate his reasoning for wanting the sustain pedal to work with the choir sounds just like it does with the piano.
    I didn't want to tell him "you are out of luck" but that's all I guess I can tell him.

Thanks Randy for trying to help.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Randy, I am aware that cc64 works properly with the GPO piano, but he wants the sustain pedal to hold chords that he is playing on his midi keyboard like the sustain pedal treats the piano. He plays this way just for sketches, and it is aggravating to him that when he plays a chord with the choir sound, even though he has the sustain pedal pressed, the chords quit playing when he releases the keys to go to the next chord (legato). I can appreciate his reasoning for wanting the sustain pedal to work with the choir sounds just like it does with the piano.
    I didn't want to tell him "you are out of luck" but that's all I guess I can tell him.

Thanks Randy for trying to help.
    Dan
    Hi, Dan - Thanks for the clarification. It was confusing when you were talking about the sustain pedal and a real piano, when Jack wasn't asking about the Garritan pianos which do respond normally.

I think this is probably a bug with the choir. I hadn't noticed before that it doesn't sustain, since when I use it, I hold the notes for the length values I need, rather like playing an organ.

But something like the cello ks has never responded to regular sustain, since it's programmed to interpret cc64 as legato, which I'm sure you know. Maybe you could explain to Jack the Garritan legato thing, and perhaps suggest he play the choir ala-organ.

Meanwhile, we could point out to Chad or one of the other developers that sustain isn't effecting choir, and ask if it's supposed to.

Randy

Hi Randy,
    Jack will be contacting Gary on Monday and perhaps it will get into the correct hands.
    Dan

Good deal, Dan. Seems like standard sustain could be added to the Choir. It probably was an oversight - and one that took so long to catch because it's an unusual way to use that sound. I bet they can change that programming.

Randy B.

Hi Dan. Im currently browsing the web from a linux box, so, i cant test it right now. But i believe that this can help:

In the GPO folder, there is a sub-folder called "banks/standard". Look inside that folder, you will found a file called "GPO.CHR.bank.xml". Open the file with a text editor, preferibly an xml editor. Look for a section like this one:

Code:
    <Define name="$sustain_sw" value="off"/>
    you need to change "off" to "on".

Save the file

I suggest you that before do this, you backup the original file, in case this dont works.

Hope this helps.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Hi Dan. Im currently browsing the web from a linux box, so, i cant test it right now. But i believe that this can help:

In the GPO folder, there is a sub-folder called "banks/standard". Look inside that folder, you will found a file called "GPO.CHR.bank.xml". Open the file with a text editor, preferibly an xml editor. Look for a section like this one:

Code:
    <Define name="$sustain_sw" value="off"/>
    you need to change "off" to "on".

Save the file

I suggest you that before do this, you backup the original file, in case this dont works.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Marce, that sure fixed it... thank you!

I will mail him a video showing how to fix it.
    Dan

Marce to the rescue. Well duh, and slap my forehead - Of course, simply a matter of editing an .xml file. I've poked around with that sort of thing rarely, tend to get nervous about it, and avoid it - But so many edits really are simple to do. Marce is a whiz at this stuff. Thanks!

Randy

I'm wondering if there has been an official work around for this yet. I, too, would find it much easier when playing the choir to use the "piano style" sustain pedal. My fingers simply can't switch instantaneously from one chord to the next so sequencer input at this point is rather tedious.

I see that the work around above works, but I am hesitant to change things in the computer when I really don't know if I'll permanently mess something up.

Three Pedals Also, I see the three pedals at the bottom right of the Aria player and sure enough, when I click on the middle pedal, that pedal sustains the singers note as I would want. Is there a way to activate that pedal so that becomes the one triggered by my foot?

Go Back to forum