• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestral GPO 4 template in Logic...

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral GPO 4 template in Logic...

I noticed that the template is being downloaded many times, sometimes 5 times a day during already months. it would be nice to hear what people think of it. please send me an email to andrevanharen@gmail.com and give me some info. thanks!

I was wondering how many users really are working in Logic with GPO4. I am working on an orchestral template for a while for my own music but maybe other have some experiences that they would like to share. It would be great if we could assemble a good sounding template that we could all benefit from.

Here is the template I am working on:

https://www.box.net/shared/2549iae5jk

One thing that I am trying to get correct is to make instrument Aria instances for short, and for long sounding sounds. SO in case of the woodwinds, I made a sustain instance and a short (staccato) instance.

For the strings, I made a long (sustain and lush patches) and short (staccato and pizz) instance.

Now the problem is still that GPO doesn't really has staccato patches for any instrument, so for those instruments in the short instances, I turned up the velocity high so at least they will have a strong attack when played, but is there a way with the help of the controls in the Aria player to make them sound short for real?

Every instrument instance has the concert hall 1 reverb turned on, but I gave a different amount of reverb to the strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion to create a sense of depth.

Every orchestral section (strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion) is send to a separate output bus in the mixer and I gave a bin aural paner insert to every single output with their own spread that I hope gives the best concert hall seating effect.

I hope other like to work and improve the template more so Logic users (that aren't very much on this forum , I have the impression), have a good base for GPO 4 to start with.

André
    Last edited by AndreasvanHaren; 02-26-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: downloaded many times!
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: Orchestral GPO 4 template in Logic...

I'm not a Logic user, but I'm wondering why not just use the keyswitch patches? This would cut down on the number of Aria instances (therefore resources) and give you all the various articulations GPO4 currently has to offer.

I've been doing some similar work with Finale and Reaper. That is trying to come up with templates for each application and the easiest way to export from Finale and import to Reaper.

Good luck and I'll follow this thread even though I'm not a Logic user. By the way here's a guy who's using Logic (not sure) and he explains how he sets up his template. Very interesting and he seems to get a "mixed" result as he's playing stuff in. Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    I'm not a Logic user, but I'm wondering why not just use the keyswitch patches? This would cut down on the number of Aria instances (therefore resources) and give you all the various articulations GPO4 currently has to offer.
    I used normal patches because I want to have more control over the pizz and short samples like giving them more reverb. I can't do this when using the KS patches.

That's a monster template, but it is not in Logic.

I'm a Logic user, and I nowadays start with many plugins, with the articulations on different channels, grouped by instrument or instrument group. I've discovered another trick recently, which is setting the three Plr patches to the same channel, so you can play an ensemble from just one track, but usually I have them on separate channels. That means that if I want three flutes to play a staccato note, I have to assign them a high velocity and a short duration. You can do that in the Project Settings > Score > MIDI Meaning: choose a symbol for staccato, and set velocity high, and duration e.g. 30%. If you drop that symbol on a note in the score editor, it will stay the same length, but it will play briefly and with high velocity. If you remove the symbol, it goes back to normal (NB there are some drawbacks to this method).
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    That's a monster template, but it is not in Logic.

I'm a Logic user, and I nowadays start with many plugins, with the articulations on different channels, grouped by instrument or instrument group. I've discovered another trick recently, which is setting the three Plr patches to the same channel, so you can play an ensemble from just one track, but usually I have them on separate channels. That means that if I want three flutes to play a staccato note, I have to assign them a high velocity and a short duration. You can do that in the Project Settings > Score > MIDI Meaning: choose a symbol for staccato, and set velocity high, and duration e.g. 30%. If you drop that symbol on a note in the score editor, it will stay the same length, but it will play briefly and with high velocity. If you remove the symbol, it goes back to normal (NB there are some drawbacks to this method).
    What do you mean with "but it is not in Logic."

I will look into that symbol dropping. THanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    What do you mean with "but it is not in Logic."
    It (i.e. c0mp0ser's video) is in Digital Performer. If you open the HQ video, you can see it clearly in the upper corner at 0:09.
    Theo

Digital Performer? I opened this template up perfectly in Logic Pro 9. Thank you OP for creating this! I'm looking through the whole thing, it is massive. I have no problem opening several instances of the ARIA player.. I'm using a 15 MBP 2011 2.3Ghz with 8GB of ram, so I have plenty of resources. I also have a Mac Pro that stays at home.

Go Back to forum