• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NAMM Impressions

Share/Bookmark

NAMM Impressions

Hi all

I just returned from the NAMM show and had a very good time there. After an absence last year, coming back to the show gave me some new perspectives and impressions.

NAMM remains the best show for music and it is an incredible experience. All of you should experience it sometime.

We did not have many things to announce. As many of you know, I made a promise not to make any official announcements before we ship. We hoped to have things ready for shipping by now, but Murphy's Law always operates in software.

The one new library is a GPO version for the Yamaha Motif. The Motif is the standard keyboard in the industry and Yamaha helped bring this library to their popular keyboard. I can't believe how well GPO is doing after more than seven years after its initial release (normally products last 2-3 years). And people were asking for GPO demos at the show as much as any other library.

We were showing the recently released World Instruments library and the upcoming Steinway Model B library. The Steinway B and the new enhancements sound great. Kudos to Jeff! We also did select showings of a Pipe Organ library we're working on.

Jim (Haydn) and Jeff Hurchalla helped out at the booth. Max from Plogue was also there and helped out (Max is one cool guy). Many thanks for the outstanding job they did. We also shared our booth with PG Music, the creators of Band-in-a-Box. They are a wonderful company run by some good people.

At the show we took care of business (which is a main reason we attend). We talked to our distributors. It's always good to see the people who work so hard for us during the year. More companies and retailers were interested in offering our downloadable products and we discussed ways to allow retailers to participate.

We also spoke to many of our partners, strengthened old alliances and forged new ones. It looks like we may be bundling our sounds with more company's products in the coming year.

We talked to a few companies about the Giga assets. Things have not gone as fast or as well as we hoped with Giga. Some companies have expressed interest in acquiring some or all of those assets from us and we are seriously considering this. We're exploring a few other options as well.

I noticed some emerging trend at the NAMM show:

The Disappearance of the Big

Sometimes you can judge a show, not only by who is there, but who is absent. Ableton, Apple (Logic/Garageband), Propellerheads, East West, Notion, and others were not exhibiting at the show. Other companies which previously had an independent large presence were relegated to kiosks tucked into their parent company's or distributors's booths (Cakewalk/Roland, Sibelius/Avid, VSL/Illi). Smaller companies were well represented. With the large trees no longer there or consolidated, it seems the smaller trees had more room and sunlight to grow in the NAMM forest.

iPads,& iPhones, & tablets - Oh My!

It seems a big theme of the show was the iPad and iPhone. They were everywhere. iPad controllers, iPad interfaces for gear and guitars, iPad instruments, iPhone pedal replacements, iPad notation readers, iPad music apps, etc. With over 100 new tablets announced last week at CES, I expect next year will witness a flood of tablets and devices at NAMM. Perhaps this trend towards diminuative devices may somehow be related to the extinction of the big.

Enter the Dragon

There was quite a presence of Chinese companies and products. Several Chinese companies approached me about licensing sounds for their products. It seems there were many more booths representing Chinese firms. Even at the MIDI Manufacturing Association a Chinese delegation spoke about MIDI standards. Time to learn Mandarin?

Security

The show seems to have been more serious this year. Security was a bit tighter than two years ago. You had to show ID everytime you entered a Hall, bags checked when you left, and when you went to another location only to wait on line and show ID again. I spent more time on lines and I am hoping we won't need to go through full body scanners to enter NAMM next year. Speaking of security, piracy seems to have been on a few developers' minds.

I did not have a chance to see everything at the show, so most likely I missed something earth shattering. It was good to see many of you there and thanks to those who took the time to visit us. And thanks also to those expressed their concern for Marianne. She is doing much better.

Interesting technological twists, new partners, even wider distribution, strengthened relationships, seeing many friends and forum members - the show could not have gone any better.

I am looking forward to next year's show!

Yours in music,

Gary Garritan

Re: NAMM Impressions

Thanks for the updates on NAMM. Would love to go sometime but can never get dug out of the snow in time.

Sounds like things are changing in the NAMM world with the big companies stepping back a bit. Is it the sign of the times and finances or a change in where and when these companies decide to show new products?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Super, Gary - Your report makes for a great read. I feel I have a good impression of what the show was like, seeing it through your eyes.

Since it'd been two years since you were there, the changes were probably more pronounced to you - like not seeing someone for a long period, and when you do, whatever changes they've been through are more obvious.

Very interesting that some of biggest guns weren't even exhibiting. I knew Cakewalk would be tucked away in their parent company's area, Roland. I'm an avid Sonar user, and Santa Claus brought me the Roland/Cakewalk A-800 Pro keyboard for Christmas. I imagine that was on display, the keyboard came out just this past year.

All the security measures!--something like international flying nowadays!

It's a big, important event for you and the other companies - It's great to hear you feeling good about the contacts and possibilities forged while there. Any snapshots to share with us?

Thanks again, Gary for the juicy report!

Randy

GPO in a keyboard, I would love to own that. Moving around the computer and booting it and stuff is way less inspiring than turning on the keyboard and banging away. Too bad my old keyboard is still in perfect shape. Or do I see a bit of paint flaking there???
    Theo

Gary,
    Let's get down to business here...
    How many euphoniums did you see?

I play tested a number of Chinese euphoniums/tubas at a couple of distributors at Midwest and was quite pleasantly surprised at the quality of the build and the craftsmanship...both have taken a quantum leap forward in the past five years, though none of them can approach the mighty Miraphone 5050. I didn't see any bad plating or misalignment on valves, any misaligned tubing, any solder blobs, rough cuts, or any other telltale signs of poor manufacture in the horns I tried. The brass might not have been as good as American or European horns, but that's fixable.

Jin Bao is the primary manufacturer, though several fairly well-known brand names are stenciled on the horns. Many of them are modeled after famous American or German instruments. Stenciling (or rebadging) is also common with computer hardware and storage devices, and has been common in instrument manufacture since the beginning. My other euphonium, for example, is badged "Holton" but is made by Yamaha.

Within another five years, they'll have it down, I bet. Probably same with tech products.

thanx for the update!

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Gary forgot to mention the euphonium booth with 10 booth babes wearing all sorts of euphoniums, sousaphones and other large brass instruments! I was in heaven!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Gary forgot to mention the euphonium booth with 10 booth babes wearing all sorts of euphoniums, sousaphones and other large brass instruments! I was in heaven!

Jim
    Looks like they cropped you out of this shot taken at NAMM, to protect your reputation, Jim:

Randy

Randy,

That IS me. Guess the cat's out of the bag now!
    Snor.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Randy,

That IS me. Guess the cat's out of the bag now!
    Snor.
    OOOOOoooh, I misunderstood the caption to that photo I found. I see. Well now. There it is.

Randy

It's amazing what stage makeup and Photoshop can do!

Rob

Go Back to forum