• Register
  • Help

Topic: The cabinet of dr. Caligari complete soundtrack!

Share/Bookmark

The cabinet of dr. Caligari complete soundtrack!

Yes, I finally finished the composition of this soundtrack. If you go some pages back in the listening room you will find the first two acts wich I posted during the year. Here's the last act (third) AND THE EPILOGUE:

These last sections were produced with Finale 2010 to prevent the "clipping" problem that you found in the first acts...thank you very much for that!

As for the music, maybe you'll find something different from act one and two, because we are in a more crucial and visionary part of the movie! So I tried to make the music more GERMAN and more open to contemporary inspirations (things that I don't usually do because I'm an italian tonal composer). There's also some twelve-tone technique, see if you can find it!

That said, hope you enjoy it!

----------------
    you can find act 1 and 2 here: http://vimeo.com/11339005
    http://vimeo.com/12647282

[ps: the orchestra is formed by:
    2 flauti, 2 oboi, 2 clarinetti in Sib, 2 fagotti, 4 corni in Fa, 2 trombe in Sib + archi
    with the addition of the English Horn in the Second Act]

Re: The cabinet of dr. Caligari complete soundtrack!

Bellissimo.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Great work!

... not too sure about the silence during the "attack" scene though... ??

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Great work!

... not too sure about the silence during the "attack" scene though... ??

M
    that's something you don't expect, i thought that putting there a full blast orchestra to represent the attack would be too predictable...so I came up with this idea:

let's make a 3 minute crescendo (!) and when the music tries to reach the maximum sonority BANG everything is shut down leaving just the double bass and the cellos on one note and the violence on the screen!

that's my explanation

however you're not the only one "non too sure" about this solution, in fact it's a little risky but in the end it happens just one time...

There's some really great stuff in there. I especially like the places where you have ostinatos. I think they're appropriate to the picture and work really well.

I have to agree with others that I don't really like the silence at least for as long as it occurs. I could hear a big build-up and just before he strangles her maybe 2-3 seconds of silence followed by something. That something could be unexpected like a demented waltz or dance like music (maybe using some of the harmonies you use when the doctor becomes Caligari). Just a thought.

I'm guessing when the old man becomes Caligari is your 12-tone section right?

I also thought you could have ended the piece with the penultimate chord rather than resolve it. Again just an opinion.

Very ambitious to write 27 minutes of music. How long did that take you?

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    There's some really great stuff in there. I especially like the places where you have ostinatos. I think they're appropriate to the picture and work really well.

I have to agree with others that I don't really like the silence at least for as long as it occurs. I could hear a big build-up and just before he strangles her maybe 2-3 seconds of silence followed by something. That something could be unexpected like a demented waltz or dance like music (maybe using some of the harmonies you use when the doctor becomes Caligari). Just a thought.

I'm guessing when the old man becomes Caligari is your 12-tone section right?

I also thought you could have ended the piece with the penultimate chord rather than resolve it. Again just an opinion.

Very ambitious to write 27 minutes of music. How long did that take you?
    -You're right about the silence section, that's a good advice.

-And yes, the 12 tone section is just there, you've found it!

-Unfortunately someone already did the "penultimate chord ending trick"! It's in Puccini, Madama Butterfly, the opera ends on a sub-dominant chord, very strange; however, that's not the end of the movie, the end is in the epilogue and maybe you'll like the solution for the finale, check it out when I'll upload it!

-As for the ambition, well I think I wrote about 1 hour and 30 minutes of music in total but it took me one year (2 months per act + orchestration)...

up

the epilogue is online!

go see it >> http://vimeo.com/19088868

(you can find it also in the first post)

now you have the complete movie on vimeo!

Go Back to forum