• Register
  • Help

Topic: Red Kite -A gentle piano piece inspired by nature.

Share/Bookmark

Post Red Kite -A gentle piano piece inspired by nature.

This piece is a rare departure from my usual overt style of open chord progression and simple melody; I have no idea if it works:

http://soundcloud.com/alan-t/red-kite

The piece was inspired during a recent walk in the Welsh mountains, my original home, where I was fortunate to have a rare sighting of a Red Kite souring and sweeping high above me.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ite/index.aspx
    Garritan: GPO4, JABB3, Steinway Model D Basic; Cakewalk: Sonar X1 Producer, VS100; MakeMusic: Finale 2011, PrintMusic 2011.

Re: Red Kite -A gentle piano piece inspired by nature.

Hi Alan; I thought this was very good! I also like the picture of the Red Kite - interesting name!
    Wales, eh? Do you speak Welsh?

Very nice music, Alan - thank you for posting!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hello Sd Cisco

Thank you for responding to my post, I was starting to panic that I had been over ambitious with the style of this piece, self confidence is not one of my strong points! I am trying hard to advance my composition style, but years of traditional study for the piano are proving very difficult to shake off.

I have just listened again to your beautiful, atmospheric, Wind over Wetland, a fine example of the style I would like to work toward.

Regarding Wales, I still have very strong Welsh ties, what is referred to as Hiraeth and this sometimes comes across in my music. Unfortunately, I have lost most of my Welsh vocabulary; I’ve been away from Wales for a very long time now.

Regarding the Red Kite, it is the UK’s most beautiful bird of prey, although a predator, it is neither particularly strong nor aggressive despite being a large bird. I was so thrilled at seeing one in the wild that I just had to write this simple tune.

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement.

Alan T
    Garritan: GPO4, JABB3, Steinway Model D Basic; Cakewalk: Sonar X1 Producer, VS100; MakeMusic: Finale 2011, PrintMusic 2011.

Very nice Alan. I enjoyed this quite a bit. I could hear some orchestration behind this as well but certainly stands alone with piano.

At about the 3:29 mark I looked up from what I was doing. That was a nice contrast rhythmically from the rest of the piece. I thought to myself it would have been nice to hear a little more of that. I don't have any specific suggestions about where it belongs but those couple of bars left me wanting to hear more.

Thanks for sharing and keep exploring.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Hi Alan;
    Thank you for your compliment re. Wind Over Wetland! Regarding shaking off years of traditional training - I know precisely what you mean! Think outside the box and listen to your heart is the best advice I can give.
    And the Red Kite is a beautiful looking bird - we have none here!
    And the Wales is a most mystical place - as I am sure you know!
    Also, I will say I liked your 2 ragtime numbers, I had a Scott Joplin LP in the early 70's and nearly wore it out! I actually wrote a ragtime piano piece back then, I need to find the tape and relearn it someday!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hello swinkler,

Thank you for responding to my post. Yes, the modulation you refer to at about 3:29 in was one of those rare moments that I actually managed to escape my shackles of conformity, it is very encouraging that you felt that the idea should have been developed further; I will definitely have to revisit this.

Regarding orchestration, yes I had thought about this too, it will enable me to thin out the busy left-hand accompaniment which is trying to compensate for the unsustainable melody line.

Thank you for your encouraging comments.

Alan T

Go Back to forum