• Register
  • Help

Topic: Original GPO and Windows 7 64 bit

Share/Bookmark

Original GPO and Windows 7 64 bit

Hi there,

I am upgrading my computer from a Vista 32 bit to a Windows 7 64 bit and am wondering if there are going to be any issues with the original version of GPO?

I will be running Cubase 5 studio version 64 bit on the new comp.

regards,

Caddie444

Re: Original GPO and Windows 7 64 bit

It should run but it will run as a 32 bit program. The best bet is to upgrade to GPO4 which is a true 64 bit app.

Jim

My old machine had Windows XP on it, but my new machine has Windows 7. I bought a new version of Cubase 5, and then transferred GPO 3 (Kontakt 2) over to it, and it worked fine. I later upgraded to GPO 4 with the Aria player.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    It should run but it will run as a 32 bit program. The best bet is to upgrade to GPO4 which is a true 64 bit app.

Jim
    Totally agree, and a theme I've sounded in a number of posts is the huge advantage of 64-bit in terms of memory access. In the 32-bit environment your system will be limited to using 4 GB of RAM, while 64-bit can use up to 32 gigs. Although 4 may be fine for now, your memory requirements are bound to increase as instrument libraries get bigger and/or you add other goodies to your creative tool kit.

One of the great things about GPO4 is that the install gives you the ARIA sample player in both 32- and 64-bit versions. This gives you the flexibility to work in the 32-bit environment if that's where you're at with your DAW (or notation program should you be using one), then move up to 64-bit later. So with GPO4 you may be "buying ahead" at this point, but when you need to increase your memory beyond that 4-gig limit, you'll be glad you did.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

awesome thanks guys

yah the reason I am switching to windows 7 64 bit is basically solely for the memory usage

Windows 32 bit versions only can access about 3 GB of memory. With straight XP you only get 2 GB unless you add the /3GB switch to the boot.ini file.

64 bit allows full access to all of your RAM. Current motherboards have a long way to go before they will hit the 64 bit limit!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Windows 32 bit versions only can access about 3 GB of memory. With straight XP you only get 2 GB unless you add the /3GB switch to the boot.ini file.

64 bit allows full access to all of your RAM. Current motherboards have a long way to go before they will hit the 64 bit limit!

Jim
    Gotta love that expandability, man! I remember what it was like way back in 1991 when I bought my first computer. Those days seem like the stone age now.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum