• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where are the touchscreen controllers

Share/Bookmark

Where are the touchscreen controllers

We see the IPad as the only available touch-screen controller, apparently. Any chance these makers of keyboard controllers taking a stab at a dedicated touch-screen controller? Any of them consider the possibilities? I'm talking about a big Ipad, a little wider, and 4 to 5 times longer, a 4 foot by 1 foot touch-screen. Want a two layered keyboard on the screen? You got it! Want an X Y pad in there too? Done deal! Want the mixing board of your DAW on the screen? No problem! Want to make your own skins? Why not!

So what do you think? Is there a company out there working on this, or are they dragging their feet?

Re: Where are the touchscreen controllers

Nah...the iPad is killer. :-)

Just use more than one to do all that stuff. Multiple iPad control surfaces are a rocking combination.

When you realize how much you can do with one, having several makes more and more sense.

I'm sure the price of the iPads will get much lower soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Nah...the iPad is killer. :-)

Just use more than one to do all that stuff. Multiple iPad control surfaces are a rocking combination.

When you realize how much you can do with one, having several makes more and more sense.

I'm sure the price of the iPads will get much lower soon too.
    You are only making a case for a dedicated controller for musicians. A 4 foot by 1 foot controller gives you the real-estate for a huge number of operations, including the ones you haven't even begun to think of yet. Included with the purchase of such a device would be software that makes it possible for the user to make their own interface. what could be more cool than that?

Which brings up a question. Why hasn't anyone made a program for the Ipad, that allows you to make a touch-screen interface for any VST? Anyone working on that? A kind of software, where one program fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_314 View Post
    You are only making a case for a dedicated controller for musicians. A 4 foot by 1 foot controller gives you the real-estate for a huge number of operations, including the ones you haven't even begun to think of yet. Included with the purchase of such a device would be software that makes it possible for the user to make their own interface. what could be more cool than that?
    Not gonna be able to compete with what Apple can do on a large scale. That's why multiple iPads is the way to go.

Which brings up a question. Why hasn't anyone made a program for the Ipad, that allows you to make a touch-screen interface for any VST? Anyone working on that? A kind of software, where one program fits all.
    Absolutely...there's tons of stuff like that already that are universally programmable for any MIDI/OSC device, plus tons of dedicated apps like our new Omni TR. The iPad musical app world is exploding.

I think what a number of people are looking for is something that allows for playing like one can on the Continuum. Might be tough to do that across several ipads glued end-to-end. Morphwiz and Bebot took a stab at it on a single ipad. But having a playing surface the size of a keyboard would be nice. I suspect that the Continuum's depth axis control would still be missed though, and not replaceable (in a physically satisfying way anyway) by anything that senses pressure without the physical displacement.

I think what a number of people are looking for is something that allows for playing like one can on the Continuum.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrmp2EaVChI
    Thats a pretty good example of what I'm talking about, but it could do so much more than that..... by far. Having all that extra real-estate seems a no-brainer. Hell, shape it like a guitar for all I care (joking but not really), just do it. You would think that keyboard makers like Korg or Yamaha would be all over this when one considers their workstations are being replaced with software and simple keyboard controllers. Put a $2000 price tag on it, I'll buy it.

LM8000LLP.gifThe LM8000 Series touchscreen controllers combine high performance with the features necessary for mobile touch screen. A powerful microcontroller core with on-chip 10-bit A / D configuration data storage NVM and communication equipment circuit provides turnkey, the Smart "solution for a wide range of touch screens.

Go Back to forum