• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Flame" (John Hawksley) - GPO + few other bits.

Share/Bookmark

Smile "Flame" (John Hawksley) - GPO + few other bits.

Hi folks,

Every time I pop in here, I see some new names, which is wonderful... I'm glad GPO and all the other wonderful Garritan products are doing so well - fabulous!

Here's a new piece: "Flame". It's downtempo, somewhat calmer than my usual stuff although still melodic.

http://www.hawksley.net/mp3/John%20H...0-%20Flame.mp3 (~8 MB).

Strings + woodwinds are from GPO.

The 'exotics' are: Uilleann pipes, Duduk, various percussion from Africa, Cuba, Asia (Kontakt/Komplete, Afro-Cuban Percussion lib).

Hope you enjoy it folks, I had a brilliant time writing it... :-)

-John

Re: "Flame" (John Hawksley) - GPO + few other bits.

Uplifting melody, lovely, clear sound, great bass. That was a jolly good listen. Thanks.
    Theo

John 'awksley...John 'awksley!

Excellent, as usual. Beautifully melodic. I really like it.

We don't hear enough of your fine music. Post some more, please.

My best to you, Brit friend.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Very Nice!

This sounds like it has commercial potential.

Great arranging and a pretty melody.

Phil

Hi Phil, Larry + Theo,

Sorry for the late reply; thanks very much everyone! Glad it's a likeable toon! :-)

-John

PS - by the beard of Larry Alexander! I would post more music if I *had* more :-)

A bit late in the evening, I'm listening to posts from the past year that I managed to miss when they were first posted.

And here I find this very well done, and confidently composed piece by John Hawksley.

John--Are you out there? Will you get auto-email about your thread, now almost a year old? I hope you do, at the least so you'll know how much I really enjoyed your music. If you're there--come back, tell us what you're up to--and post more music if you can. This is such a good thing, "Flame"--I want to hear more!

Randy

Hi there Randy,

Yes I'm still out here - I did get a mail when you replied :-) I am still around! Thanks for having a listen to "Flame", I'm quite proud of this work; I tend toward the more upbeat stuff so this was a slight departure for me, a bit more reflective and introspective. I'm glad you liked it :-)

I'm still writing occasionally, though I tend to be dissatisfied with the results mostly, and they don't really make it past the initial stages. I'm probably being too hard on myself in that respect. It's funny this came up, because I actually sat down to write yesterday in fact, but I have had software (or network - not sure which) issues; and trying to fix those pretty much destroys any creative impulse I have. I hope - fingers crossed - to be able to buy a new machine soon to replace my (don't laugh) two Pentium 4's which should eliminate a lot of the problems. I hope my old software still runs on it :-)

Thanks again for replying!

-John

Well that was a joy to listen to and no mistake.

Wonderful melody and perfectly produced.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley View Post
    Hi there Randy,

Yes I'm still out here - I did get a mail when you replied :-) I am still around! Thanks for having a listen to "Flame", I'm quite proud of this work; I tend toward the more upbeat stuff so this was a slight departure for me, a bit more reflective and introspective. I'm glad you liked it :-)

I'm still writing occasionally, though I tend to be dissatisfied with the results mostly, and they don't really make it past the initial stages. I'm probably being too hard on myself in that respect. It's funny this came up, because I actually sat down to write yesterday in fact, but I have had software (or network - not sure which) issues; and trying to fix those pretty much destroys any creative impulse I have. I hope - fingers crossed - to be able to buy a new machine soon to replace my (don't laugh) two Pentium 4's which should eliminate a lot of the problems. I hope my old software still runs on it :-)

Thanks again for replying!

-John
    Wonderful, John - Glad to see you're still in the Garritan Forum loop. And congrats on the up-coming computer upgrade. Getting a new set up in 2011 definitely helped me get over the problem of wrestling with technical issues more than having fun with my music. I'm sure that will happen with you too.

Getting over that hump at the start of new projects is something we all deal with at times, I sympathize. No magical solutions beyond doing what we can to turn off our critical brains while getting in the flowing, creative mode. Having a more powerful computer will help out in this area too.

Thanks for the reply!

Randy

Wow... simple melody and arrangement. Completely unpretentious. I really enjoyed that! I don't know about other folks, but I get so focussed on maing my scores "alive" that I end up filling them with truly unecessary fluff. It is good to be remined that simple is many times the best way to write. It doesn't need to be thick... just enjoyable.

Go Back to forum