• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instruments shortcuts terminology in No. I. Sheherazade 2nd movement, Section B

Share/Bookmark

Instruments shortcuts terminology in No. I. Sheherazade 2nd movement, Section B

Hi,
    I've just started the Principle of Orch. on line and looking at lesson 3 No. I. Sheherazade 2nd movement, Section B , could any one tell me the meaning of "CL (A)"
    also the meaning of "Fag"- also "Cor III- and also V.C and c.b.
    Thanking you in advance
    Paolo

Re: Instruments shortcuts terminology in No. I. Sheherazade 2nd movement, Section B

Quote Originally Posted by haymon2009 View Post
    Hi,
    I've just started the Principle of Orch. on line and looking at lesson 3 No. I. Sheherazade 2nd movement, Section B , could any one tell me the meaning of "CL (A)"
    also the meaning of "Fag"- also "Cor III- and also V.C and c.b.
    Thanking you in advance
    Paolo
    Welcome to the forum.

CL(A) is clarinet in A
    Fag is bassoon
    Cor III is French horn, 3rd part
    V.C. is Violin Cello (Cello)
    C.B. is ContraBass or more commonly stringed bass.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Re: Instruments shortcuts terminology in No. I. Sheherazade 2nd movement, Section B

Small correction: it's "Violoncello," not "Violincello." (It comes from "Violone," an obsolete Italian word for string bass. Hence "violoncello" = "small bass.")

Also, the abbreviation is "Vc."

As long as I'm being anal-retentive, I'll add that "Fag." is an abbreviation for "Fagotto," the Italian word for bassoon, also "Cor." is short for "Corno," Italian for...oh, you already know.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Excellent

Go Back to forum