• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mixing advice asked for my "Dolce e Cantabile" for Orchestra...

Share/Bookmark

Mixing advice asked for my "Dolce e Cantabile" for Orchestra...

Hi all!

I did a lot of mixing and final mastering research lately and used this on my latest orchestra piece, Dolce e Cantabile.

Dolce e Cantabile

At this moment I think I can't get it any better and I don't hear any more what I should change. But I am sure it is not perfect. I would really like to hear some advice of the more advanced mixing musicians, what should I still work on to get the sound better.

I did an EQ on all the instruments to get them clearer in the mix and used a compressor on the final bounce so it will not have those very loud and very soft moments which the mix had. Is there anything I should work on more?

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: Mixing advice asked for my "Dolce e Cantabile" for Orchestra...

I found the piece enjoyable for listening. All the orchestral members are balanced and clean sounding. You have done a good job with mixing as well as orchestrating. Is this an original piece? The composition is pleasant and well organized.

The only suggestion that I would make is to make each instrument "breathe" as if you were playing it yourself. For instance, the opening section has a bassoon part that drones on for a long time. Give it a breath pause at the phrase endings. Even string players who do not need to take a breath to play phrases do, in fact, breathe with the musical phrases. It is a natural thing to do.

That would be my only suggestion for this very well designed and engineered piece of music. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I found the piece enjoyable for listening. All the orchestral members are balanced and clean sounding. You have done a good job with mixing as well as orchestrating. Is this an original piece? The composition is pleasant and well organized.

The only suggestion that I would make is to make each instrument "breathe" as if you were playing it yourself. For instance, the opening section has a bassoon part that drones on for a long time. Give it a breath pause at the phrase endings. Even string players who do not need to take a breath to play phrases do, in fact, breathe with the musical phrases. It is a natural thing to do.

That would be my only suggestion for this very well designed and engineered piece of music. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Hi!
    Yes, it's an original piece, although it is based on my 1st piano sonata that I am orchestrating now. The long tone at the beginning is a horn, I tried to make it sound thicker, more body, but i was not able to. Thanks for the advice on the breathing. In the score, I gave for the woodwind and brass breathing time for the players, but maybe the strings could use a little more, yes. Just for the feeling of having air in the piece.

I found the mixing process very nice, but at some point I noticed that i don't hear anything anymore, like my ears can't take in more. It's good to have an opinion from someone else on it.
    Thanks!

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

I found the mixing process very nice, but at some point I noticed that i don't hear anything anymore, like my ears can't take in more. It's good to have an opinion from someone else on it.
    It is always good to not overmix at one sitting. Take time away from the piece then go back and listen again. You should take frequent breaks when mixing just to give your ears a break.

I enjoyed the piece and will keep a lookout for your next piece.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I liked your piece.

I'm not sure which verb your using but it's almost as important as the samples. Dan Kury aka DPDAN swears by Altiverb. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for. There are others for less than half the price that can give you good results. There are some new verbs competing with Altiverb at about the same price point.

Something else to try is make your lower register instruments much dryer than the other instruments and the brass the wettest. Try out different settings and see what happens.

You might try adding a solo or single string instrument to a string section in faster passages to give them more definition. Not loud enough to be too noticeable but just to fool the listeners ear.

Phil

Go Back to forum