• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Aria instances question

Share/Bookmark

Aria instances question

I was wondering: What is heavier on the system; 1 Aria instance that has 16 instruments loaded, or 16 Aria instances that have 1 singe instrument loaded?

I ask this because I feel frustrated with having too little control over my instruments that are loaded in 1 instance and would rather have them on single instances, but I am working on a powerpc mac and am not sure if it will pull about 26 Aria instances that have 1 instrument each.
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: Aria instances question

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    I was wondering: What is heavier on the system; 1 Aria instance that has 16 instruments loaded, or 16 Aria instances that have 1 singe instrument loaded?

I ask this because I feel frustrated with having too little control over my instruments that are loaded in 1 instance and would rather have them on single instances, but I am working on a powerpc mac and am not sure if it will pull about 26 Aria instances that have 1 instrument each.
    In terms of CPU load, I think it would be six of one, half a dozen of the other. In terms of RAM, it looks like each instance takes about 40 MB, so 16 instances would use about 640 MB. If your computer has sufficient memory available, that shouldn't be a problem. However, running so many instances of ARIA could make things more complicated than they need to be. Two things here:

1. With ARIA we have the choice of the ARIA Player and ARIA Player Multi. The difference between the two is that ARIA Player Multi sends on 16 separate channels, while the other sends all 16 instrument slots over only one channel. You should use the ARIA Player Multi for ensembles.

2. The only reasons for using mutiple instances of ARIA that I can find are: A. Your instrument requirements for a piece exceed the 16 slots available in just one instance, and/or B. You want to apply different types/parameters of Ambience reverb to the different instrument groups in your ensembles.

If you let me know what it is you're trying to do, maybe I can help you figure out how to streamline your instrument configurations without having to run so many instances of ARIA.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    In terms of CPU load, I think it would be six of one, half a dozen of the other. In terms of RAM, it looks like each instance takes about 40 MB, so 16 instances would use about 640 MB. If your computer has sufficient memory available, that shouldn't be a problem. However, running so many instances of ARIA could make things more complicated than they need to be. Two things here:

1. With ARIA we have the choice of the ARIA Player and ARIA Player Multi. The difference between the two is that ARIA Player Multi sends on 16 separate channels, while the other sends all 16 instrument slots over only one channel. You should use the ARIA Player Multi for ensembles.

2. The only reasons for using mutiple instances of ARIA that I can find are: A. Your instrument requirements for a piece exceed the 16 slots available in just one instance, and/or B. You want to apply different types/parameters of Ambience reverb to the different instrument groups in your ensembles.

If you let me know what it is you're trying to do, maybe I can help you figure out how to streamline your instrument configurations without having to run so many instances of ARIA.

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    What I would like to have is a setup in which I can give every instrument their own panning and reverb amount. I can do this now with the template I have almost finished, but I don't know yet if it will run smoothly on my system. I have 25 instances of Aria with in every player 1 instrument.

Every instrument is send in Logic to an aux with a reverb (some have Hall, some have Cathedral) and every instrument has an EQ insert.

Hi Steve,
    What I would like to have is a setup in which I can give every instrument their own panning and reverb amount. I can do this now with the template I have almost finished, but I don't know yet if it will run smoothly on my system. I have 25 instances of Aria with in every player 1 instrument.

Every instrument is send in Logic to an aux with a reverb (some have Hall, some have Cathedral) and every instrument has an EQ insert.
    Okay, I think I see what you're after. I also think you may still be trying to run more instances of ARIA than you need to. Unfortunately, this is where I'd have to be in front of your computer to be much help. Since you live in Sweden that's not going to happen, although it would be a nice excuse to visit Sweden! (Ah time and money, two things I don't have enough of. )

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Just now I am adding my 64th Aria player... and my mac tells me that it is out of memory. I didn't even record anything yet! So this is not going to work. I will have to find another way to get what I try to do. Probably I will have to put more instruments into 1 player what really give me less control over them.

Andreas

You certainly shouldn't need so many instances of Aria to get the control you require.

Are using the multi channel output facilty in Aria or are you returning the output from each and every instrument to the same stereo output channel, and so the same track in Logic?

That's the only thing I can see would explain your issue.

Just now I am adding my 64th Aria player... and my mac tells me that it is out of memory. I didn't even record anything yet! So this is not going to work. I will have to find another way to get what I try to do. Probably I will have to put more instruments into 1 player what really give me less control over them.
    If you PM me with your e-mail address, there's a PDF I'd like to send you. It's a document that details the configuration setup for my virtual orchestra with GPO4, and I believe it might give you some ideas about how to approach what you're trying to do.

By the way, Peter is right, and that was the point I was trying to make in my first reply -- you must use the ARIA Player Multi for ensembles. If you're not, then all instruments get shoved through just one channel and of course you'll have extremely limited control over your instruments.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    Andreas

You certainly shouldn't need so many instances of Aria to get the control you require.

Are using the multi channel output facilty in Aria or are you returning the output from each and every instrument to the same stereo output channel, and so the same track in Logic?

That's the only thing I can see would explain your issue.
    What I did was loading a normal Stereo Aria Player, and loaded in the 1st channel inside the Aria Player my instrument. In Logic, this is routed to the Stereo Out. I did this with my whole Orchestra template and have 75 Aria Players instances loaded now. No effects, or any other inserts on the tracks. Only dry sounds. Logic isn't giving me an out of memory warning but i didn't start recording anything yet...

Now I have a different pan for every instrument, what is what I wanted. Only on the Stereo Out in Logic, I put a simple reverb. Like I did with an other project before, I will put more special reverbs on the audio bounces after finishing my midi recording.

Is there a better way to set up this template? One that would give me the same results but that would not push my processor too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    If you PM me with your e-mail address, there's a PDF I'd like to send you. It's a document that details the configuration setup for my virtual orchestra with GPO4, and I believe it might give you some ideas about how to approach what you're trying to do.

By the way, Peter is right, and that was the point I was trying to make in my first reply -- you must use the ARIA Player Multi for ensembles. If you're not, then all instruments get shoved through just one channel and of course you'll have extremely limited control over your instruments.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
    my address is andrevanharen@gmail.com

I remember I used the multi option for a while but run into trouble that I don't remember. I will try it again and maybe your setup will help me as well.

Maybe another problem is also that I am not able to turn off all the reverb in the Aria player because I cannot turn of the ambiance button with my mouse, so all of the instances are running the reverb. I did turn them down to 0 though but I don't know if it still is using my processor.

Andé

Thanks Steve,
    my address is andrevanharen@gmail.com

I remember I used the multi option for a while but run into trouble that I don't remember. I will try it again and maybe your setup will help me as well.

Maybe another problem is also that I am not able to turn off all the reverb in the Aria player because I cannot turn of the ambiance button with my mouse, so all of the instances are running the reverb. I did turn them down to 0 though but I don't know if it still is using my processor.

Andé
    Yes, I remember that you were having trouble with not being able to turn off Ambience. If you have the effects send knob set to 0 in the ARIA mixer panel, then even though Ambience is on it should not be putting any load on your processor.

I'll e-mail my PDF to you tomorrow night, and hopefully it might help you.

Steve

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast