• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO ON AN iPHONE?

Share/Bookmark

GPO ON AN iPHONE?

I see at least one company has developed a fully functioning sample based sequencer for the iPhone 4.

I remember someone posting about release of the first iPhone with the hope of it becoming a music creation tool. At the time that idea seemed a little ridiculous.

Could a Garritan smart phone and pad music creation tool be in the works?

Will smart phones and pads compete with or even replace personal computers?

The second question sounds familiar.

Phil

Re: GPO ON AN iPHONE?

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    The challenge comes down to the platform an application like this would be developed for and other design issues. When designing for iPhone and iPad, a consistant platform exists on each device but two separate applications would have to be built. The low-latency audio support is already in thanks to Core Audio, so that's a plus. On the downside, the entire application would have to be ported to Objective-C which would involve extra time spent getting the programmers acquainted to the language and the time to port it would be a tad bit too long. Android also has a promising platform. It uses Java, a language that is familiar to most programmers, thus making porting and time getting acquainted to the SDK a good bit quicker. However, the hardware can differ quite a bit and cause a ton of headaches for the developer with compatibility issues. Another issue with Android is that some vendors have yet to push distribute Gingerbread, the version that has low-latency audio (I'm looking at you, Verizon Wireless. ). Once Android gains low-latency audio on a wider spectrum, it will become an extremely viable platform that will really challenge the iPhone and this may occur within the next couple months.

Another issue plaguing this kind of project is how the application would be developed. For iPhone, a lite version of GPO would have to include a sequencer or notation program of some sort built in, which of course makes the project a whole lot larger. The alternative would be to release GPO as an API for those looking for developing music apps with it, but then piracy of the API would become an issue. For Android, it is possible to create GPO as a library to be utilized by other apps (very much in the same way the text-to-speech engine is handled). GPO for smart phones would be very crippled in the feature-set as fewer samples can be loaded simultaneously and played with any reasonable response time. Plus, the small screen-size on phones also limits how many notes can be played on an on-screen instrument and also restricts capabilities in designing a simple interface for writing music (too much scrolling!). A tablet interface would be better, but once again would venture into spending extra time on developing the notation/sequencing interface.

I might have sat down and considered doing this kind of project once...or twice...per week. Unfortunately, due to college, I'm a tad bit low on free time for being able to write such a program.

Will laptops replace the desktop? Will netbooks replace the laptop? Frankly, I don't see larger computers disappearing anytime soon. They have one thing that smaller devices often lack: expandability. What would be a better long term investment: A computer that you can replace the components in yourself years after the warranty has ended or an iPad that is experiencing poor battery life and is out of warranty? In the long run, a regular desktop computer is a better investment and over the past 10 years with laptops still rising in popularity, this has not changed. Plus, from a security stand-point, it's a lot harder to steal a desktop than a iPad/iPhone/Droid/etc.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

[QUOTE]In the long run, a regular desktop computer is a better investment and over the past 10 years with laptops still rising in popularity, this has not changed. Plus, from a security stand-point, it's a lot harder to steal a desktop than a iPad/iPhone/Droid/etc.[QUOTE]
    Good question Phil! and good discussion CJPro! I would include the type of sound you would hear from an iPhone or Ipad (earbuds? those phone speakers?). I don't think you could tell the difference between VSL or GPO in that setup. Eventually you would have to bring it to your studio where a good speaker system is set up to work on the project. Or am I missing something that the iPhone has?</p>
    </p> I don't know what is wrong here but I cannot use this site's editor today. Excuse the run on look to it. :-(
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I would rather just use my laptop anyway. It's a heck of a lot easier to work with. However, something I wouldn't mind is a program available on a phone that can take a recording (say, something I hum/whistle into it), and turn it into midi, which I could then turn into notation. Now that... that would be useful.

Hi Phil,

iPhones and iPads and similar devices are already replacing personal computers for many. Between more powerful capabilities of these devices, solid state drives, cloud computer offerings, better broadband, location awareness, very capable mobile software, etc- many find no need to be tethered to a desktop box. This is especially true in day-to-day computing (email, browsing, word processing, PIM, etc).

Right now music, Video and Media creation still require more power and capabilities for professional applications. But the situation is fluid and these are exciting times in computing. We'll be posting more about this.

Gary Garritan

I see at least one company has developed a fully functioning sample based sequencer for the iPhone 4.

I remember someone posting about release of the first iPhone with the hope of it becoming a music creation tool. At the time that idea seemed a little ridiculous.

The second question sounds familiar.

Phil

Go Back to forum