• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question, Answer and Discussion: Reflections for a Quiet Moment

Share/Bookmark

Question, Answer and Discussion: Reflections for a Quiet Moment

I think it was Challenge 25 that had an (call and) answer theme. I started out optimistically, but couldn't finish on time. I let the work rest a bit, then began all over again, slightly less constrainted this time, and this is the result: http://www.box.net/shared/0rl8km4x74

I constructed the piece around the notion of a debate, where the answer was central, but not decisive, but I'm curious what interpretations you can come up with...
    Theo

Re: Question, Answer and Discussion: Reflections for a Quiet Moment

Theo,

While the debate/conflict is present, it is - for me - secondary. The reflective parts here are simply beautiful, and wonderfully rendered. I found this to be a very lovely piece. I truly enjoyed listening, and hope to do so again when time permits.

Outstanding job!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

An interesting and vibrant piece of music! You are getting intriguing big brass sounds and I liked the variety of voices in general. Most certainly worth the effort on your part and worthy of an attentive listen, on mine. I feel that stylistically, you have begun to trace a circle which is wide and capable of encompassing many dynamic and diverse elements; and you show a fine sense of pacing. Keep up the good work, I enjoy hearing what you do!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Excellent work, Mister Theo! Fine strings and brass sounds!

I got the impression of a stark planet's landscape many light-years away from Earth, with strange, unworldly creatures lurking behind every large, imposing boulder.

Which sample libraries did you use?

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Nice work! It does sounds quite reflective. It seemed dark and mysterious also.

The instruments sound very good, especially the brass and it all seems to fit together very well.

I guess this is modern with some romantic leanings.

Phil

Theo,

This is a fascinating and beautifully sequenced work.

I love the way various instruments speak to each other. To my mind this piece evokes the image of a profound and contemplative moment shared by a man (brass) and woman (strings) while periodically interrupted by their children (winds & piano). Then the clock (organ) chimes and mother softly says, “Time for bed, my little ones”.

I shall place this in my private collection.

Thank you.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    While the debate/conflict is present, it is - for me - secondary. The reflective parts here are simply beautiful, and wonderfully rendered. I found this to be a very lovely piece. I truly enjoyed listening, and hope to do so again when time permits.
    Thanks. The debate/conflict was just the concept or inspiration behind the structure. As said, this piece started out (in a very different form) as a result of Challenge 25, which had a call and answer constraint. I wanted the question, the answer and the discussion (which is so common in today's society) to have different voices. The question gets repeated with slight variations (e.g. because the answer was unsatisfying), the answer each time has the same timbre, but a very different content, and the discussion just chatters like birds, or little children, as Sean thought. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    An interesting and vibrant piece of music! You are getting intriguing big brass sounds and I liked the variety of voices in general. Most certainly worth the effort on your part and worthy of an attentive listen, on mine. I feel that stylistically, you have begun to trace a circle which is wide and capable of encompassing many dynamic and diverse elements; and you show a fine sense of pacing. Keep up the good work, I enjoy hearing what you do!
    Thanks to you too. It was quite a "challenge", so to speak. I have not yet found my own style, but I like your description of a circle: composing is a bit like following a path around a center that you cannot reach, and the result in this case had a circular structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Excellent work, Mister Theo! Fine strings and brass sounds!

I got the impression of a stark planet's landscape many light-years away from Earth, with strange, unworldly creatures lurking behind every large, imposing boulder.

Which sample libraries did you use?
    Thanks Mr Larry. I had such a down-to-earth image in my head while writing, but I find it very possible to reframe my thoughts and see alien birds scattering out of impossible structures, leaving the listener in a sort of Mare Tranquilitatis.

The library was pure GPO4 with a 3rd party reverb plugin (Reverberate) on the master bus and a bit of EQ. I do have another sample library (EWQLSO, as you do, if I'm not mistaken; I'm known as TGV on the "other" forum), but I find GPO has some particular strengths that suit this style of music. Other libraries have more "balls", but make it harder to be subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Nice work! It does sounds quite reflective. It seemed dark and mysterious also.

The instruments sound very good, especially the brass and it all seems to fit together very well.

I guess this is modern with some romantic leanings.
    Thanks! I think you nailed my taste perfectly. I'm very fond of late Romantic composers, and while I'm also fond of the classical, and Baroque or the early Romantics, and all the others, the late Romantic style is greatly appealing to me. However, I also find great intellectual consolation in the work of "modern" composers, such as Shostakovich, Messiaen, Hartmann, Adams, Hindemith, Martin, etc. So yes, I tend to go for a Romantic sound with a more modern idiom. Part of it comes from my desire to impose a certain structure on my music (which is very Baroque). O well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    This is a fascinating and beautifully sequenced work.

I love the way various instruments speak to each other. To my mind this piece evokes the image of a profound and contemplative moment shared by a man (brass) and woman (strings) while periodically interrupted by their children (winds & piano). Then the clock (organ) chimes and mother softly says, “Time for bed, my little ones”.

I shall place this in my private collection.
    Thank you too, and that's a different, but also fitting interpretation. My first thoughts were on the line of political debate, but of course, at a much more personal scale the structures are very similar. And thinking of children gives the "discussion" part an almost cartoon-like character, a brief comical interlude.

Thanks again to all of you for listening.
    Theo

Go Back to forum