• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kapralova - Legend

Share/Bookmark

Kapralova - Legend

Hi there;
    Vitezslava Kapralova, Czech composer and conductor, wrote this piece around 1935, at the age of 20, while studying at the Brno Conservatory of Music. The music is written for piano and violin. Using the Garritan Personal Orchestra v4 library of virtual orchestral instruments, I have created an arrangement of the music for string orchestra with English Horn and Cello. The line originally taken by the violin, is here transposed down and given to the cello and the piano accompaniment has been given to the string orchestra and the English Horn.
    Kapralova had considerable fame and recognition during her lifetime. Most of her 50+ works were published before her tragic death from tuberculosis in France, in June of 1940, 2 months after getting married and 2 days after the Germans entered Paris.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

YouTube - Kapralova - Legend

Here is the mp3 on Box.net: Kapralova - Legend

Re: Kapralova - Legend

Hi SD,

I haven't been here too much lately (busy w/ an exciting music project!), but I listened to the 1st few minutes of this offering and just had to take a minute to tell you how much I am enjoying this piece.

Your orchestration and rendering of this piece is breathtakingly beautiful. The video makes this emotional music even more poignent. I also thought this was a superb mix. I downloaded the entire mp3, and will revist this and the video after I finish my current committment. I just couldn't wait to tell you how much I loved this!

I can't help but notice what eclectic musical tastes you have SD; I owe you a great debt for presenting music and composers to me that I never would have heard or become aware of ... THANK YOU!

Regards,

Frank

This is a very nice piece indeed, and well orchestrated. I was immediately reminded of Szymanovski, through the impressionistic tonal language (more than a hint of Debussy there). This is indeed a piece that should be heard, and your orchestration is certainly appropriate and deserving, as is your rendering. It may be a bit dry, but the violin is well done, and it's not the easiest instrument. Well done.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi SD,

I haven't been here too much lately (busy w/ an exciting music project!), but I listened to the 1st few minutes of this offering and just had to take a minute to tell you how much I am enjoying this piece.

Your orchestration and rendering of this piece is breathtakingly beautiful. The video makes this emotional music even more poignent. I also thought this was a superb mix. I downloaded the entire mp3, and will revist this and the video after I finish my current committment. I just couldn't wait to tell you how much I loved this!

I can't help but notice what eclectic musical tastes you have SD; I owe you a great debt for presenting music and composers to me that I never would have heard or become aware of ... THANK YOU!

Regards,

Frank
    Hi Frank;
    Well, I am very happy that you have enjoyed my production of Legend! Thank you for saying so, it is much appreciated! I find Kapralova's music very interesting, especially now that I better grasp who she was, and what she accomplished in a very short life. She first published her compositions at age 9. She was the first woman to conduct the Czech Philharmonic and the BBC Orchestra. She was the daughter of musical parents, her father a composer who had studied under Janacek. She was the protege of significant and highly thought-of Czech composer Bohuslav Martinu, yet, instead of being overshadowed and heavily influenced, she came to her own perspective. Because she lived a short life and died at the beginning of WWll, she was, for a time, lost in the dust of History. Only in the late 1990's did interest in her and her work come back to life. The Kapralova Society, HQ'd in Toronto(!), say on their .org, that they encourage musicians to record her work. They don't say anything about encouraging people to tinker with arrangements, let alone what I have done. I am not sure what they would think. They don't appear to have a "Contact us" link anywhere, so, chances are they will never know it anyway. And besides, I did put many hours into this music and the video, but further, I have actually worked with 4 pieces by Kapralova, although for the moment, this stands as my favorite. They are all on You Tube - sdcisco99.
    Thanks for listening and commenting!!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    This is a very nice piece indeed, and well orchestrated. I was immediately reminded of Szymanovski, through the impressionistic tonal language (more than a hint of Debussy there). This is indeed a piece that should be heard, and your orchestration is certainly appropriate and deserving, as is your rendering. It may be a bit dry, but the violin is well done, and it's not the easiest instrument. Well done.
    Theo, thank you so much, it is great to be heard and appreciated!! I wish that Vitezslava Kapralova could know that her music was listened to and admired 76 years later! Although apparently surrounded by stuffy intellectuals, I believe she had an ear for popular music. At times, this piece sounds like light, ballroom music of the '30's. In the second part of her Appassionata Sonata, I hear patterns which very much resemble those heard in rock music of the '60's or '70's, so go figure!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

sd cisco

Thanks for posting some of this composer's work. It's sad she had so little time to produce such wonderful music. She does swing from seriousness (but not too serious) to playfulness.

Her music is captivating.

Great job with your arrangement and rendering!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    sd cisco

Thanks for posting some of this composer's work. It's sad she had so little time to produce such wonderful music. She does swing from seriousness (but not too serious) to playfulness.

Her music is captivating.

Great job with your arrangement and rendering!

Phil
    Hi Phil!
    Thank you! I agree with your remarks on Kapralova, and especially this piece, it is really quite wonderful!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

This is wonderful! I never had heard music of this composer before, so a new enlightening discovery has been made.

Thanks for creating this rendition and for sharing it with us!

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    This is wonderful! I never had heard music of this composer before, so a new enlightening discovery has been made.

Thanks for creating this rendition and for sharing it with us!
    Reinhold;
    Great to hear from you, my friend, and greater still to learn that you have enjoyed what I have done! I first discovered this composer last year and was working with her entertaining piece, Burlesque, a lot. I will hear-by confess, at that time, I only noticed the last name, Kapralova. Due to my previous experience working with midi files by nearly unknown Russian Zaderatsky, I thought Kapralova was another similar individual. While fiddling around with Burlesque, off and on for months on end, never once did I bother seeking more information on its author.
    I fear this is certain proof I am dull witted! Then, about a month ago, I began seeking out more music by Kapralova, and actually did a Google on the name. What a shock it was!! Not only was Kapralova a Czech, not a Russian, but also, she was a woman. And then I read through to the last line of her tragic story and felt devastated that I had taken the whole matter so lightly, not knowing the full story, not being respectful enough to render her work in its original setting. As I studied the piece, I came to see the form and get a feel for what the music meant, emotionally. This provided guidance in my video for the music. I looked at the beautiful picture of her, I listened to Legend, first an early version I made using the original piano accompaniment and only transposing the violin part down to the cello, sounded better to me, almost more comprehensible. What I heard the first time through seemed almost without form, but full of an overwhelming sensitivity and pathos. I thought; did she sense her fate? And what a difference in her appearance from age 20 to 25, her last year. Still, there are apparently 50 works published and the Kapralova Society have posted the scores for many, but sadly, I couldn't locate anywhere on their website that said, Contact Us, so that I could inform them of Kapralova's burgeoning popularity and relevance!

Anyway, you know this was a lot of work, but joyous work all the same and enlightening, as you say.

Thank you.
    sd cisco

Hi,

I visited the website http://www.kapralova.org, and on their Calendar page http://www.kapralova.org/CALENDAR.htm I found an email address:

society [at] kapralova [dot] org

So you could try to contact them and let them know about your fabulous renditions of her work, and maybe get more scores.

As I was already briefly mentioning in my comment to your YouTube video, this story is deeply touching me, as a German whose ancestors have been on "the other side of the front". I feel very sad about this, and I still cannot understand what has gotten into the minds and hearts of the people in the 1930s.
    Personally I do feel a strong affection for Czech music, without ever having been explicitly taught about it - maybe that is somehow inherited, since my mother's family is among those "Sudeten Germans". It really upsets me that there has been this artificially incited divide between the people who lived peacefully together for long times, and it makes me angry that my country has brought so much harm and pain to Europe's countries, people, and individuals. Another musician victim comes to mind: Erich Wolfgang Korngold...

Remarkable about Vitulka Kapralova is also that there are so few female composers. She could be an inspiration for others to follow. Would she have lived longer, she would have created many more wonderful works.

Her 100th birthday is in 2015 - maybe enough time to prepare a set of renditions of all her works?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast