• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The River Aire" - A Symphonic Poem

"The River Aire" - A Symphonic Poem

Following the words of a poem by David Wilders, I have written this music as a transcription ("transmusification"?) of this poem, word by word.

This is currently still a sketch; I still need to work on some parts regarding final orchestration or thematic composition, and also due to time constraints I had to skip 11 words, so the music is not yet complete. But I decided to share it anyway with you.

The "Aire" is a river here in the UK which has its origin in the Yorkshire Dales (in Malham), from where it flows down through Leeds and then through Castleford.

With this music I have also tried to resurrect the old late-romantic "Symphonic Poem" idea.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zBIxR9cY_h8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zBIxR9cY_h8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Re: "The River Aire" - A Symphonic Poem

A great imagination you have... Interesting take on the poem with very expressive use of instruments and effects. Would really like to see the score.

Thanks for posting this... very original.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Shelton, Washington State

It was fun to visualize the river scenes as the music changed.

This sounds like quite an undertaking and I liked it a lot.

It's like watching a movie and listening to the sound track but the movie, though a simple one, is created with your imagination.

Southern Ontario, Canada

Reinhold, this has a real visionary quality to it, love your use of the orchestral elements, including the available "Wind Machine". Evocative, brooding and changeable, rather reminds me of the weather these days!! But superb in your handling of the parts and transitions and the overall tone is excellent. Quite an interesting and original piece of music you have created here, very cinematic!!
    Great stuff!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Very nice work so far reinholdbehringer. That is a very creative way to construct and present your work. I really enjoyed that. I'd like to see a score as well if you can do that when you're done.

Thanks for sharing.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Ambitious, imaginative, integrating a great variety of timbres, with a distinct Romantic feel to it. Your study of Mahler certainly paid of. I heard some very evocative celli lines, and distant horn calls. And having it played live must have been a real kick. A good piece, congratulations.

Go Back to forum