• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it possible to sustain notes on the Steinway without using the pedal?

Share/Bookmark

Is it possible to sustain notes on the Steinway without using the pedal?

Before this topic gets bumped to the authorized Steinway forum my question is regarding the Steinway that comes with GPO. I'm using Sonar and for some reason the notes won't sustain for more than a quarter note unless I use the pedal. In other words, if I put a half note on the staff Aria will only sustain the half note for one beat instead of two beats. I can hold the note down on my controller and it will sustain and I can click the piano at the bottom of the aria player and it will sustain but no matter what I do I can't get the piano to sustain itself on it's own.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dane

Re: Is it possible to sustain notes on the Steinway without using the pedal?

Hi Dane, I don't use Sonar but I think I can help.
    in the piano roll view, you can draw in midi data like notes, mod-wheel, sustain pedal etc.

cc64 is the midi control change number for sustain.
    the cc64 data will need to be "ON" and "OFF" as desired.
    Instead of on and off the value you need to draw in will be O for off and 127 for sustain on.
    Try that...
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    Before this topic gets bumped to the authorized Steinway forum my question is regarding the Steinway that comes with GPO. I'm using Sonar and for some reason the notes won't sustain for more than a quarter note unless I use the pedal. In other words, if I put a half note on the staff Aria will only sustain the half note for one beat instead of two beats. I can hold the note down on my controller and it will sustain and I can click the piano at the bottom of the aria player and it will sustain but no matter what I do I can't get the piano to sustain itself on it's own.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dane
    I use Sonar 8.5, and I created a test file to try and replicate your problem. No such luck -- my Steinway behaves fine. The only suggestion I have is a long shot, but try the following:

Go to Program under the Options menu, then click on the MIDI out tab in the Project Options window. If the Zero Controllers When Play Stops box is checked, uncheck it. There is no logical reason why this should fix your problem, but I'm thinking that perhaps the Zero Controllers function has some weird interaction with ARIA that's causing your piano notes to get cut short. Worth a try, anyway.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Talking I fixed the problem though I have no idea why this fixed it.

I fixed the problem though I have no idea how this actually remedied the problem. For starters I'm running 2 aria players at once since there is no way to get a full orchestra with only 16 tracks. I keep the strings and woodwinds on the first aria player and the brass and whatever else on the second. The Steinway was on channel 13 of the first aria player and so I tried loading different instruments to that channel. None of them wanted to sustain. Then I tried playing the track through a channel I assigned to strings on the second aria player and surprisingly it sustained fine. I just went ahead and emptied the Steinway from the first player and loaded it in the second player. I don't think it was a problem with the first player rather it was a problem with the channel. Every now and again one of the channels acts up for some reason. (Well I'm sure there's a reason, it's just not known to me.)

Thanks for all the help,
    Dane

Re: I fixed the problem though I have no idea why this fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    I fixed the problem though I have no idea how this actually remedied the problem. For starters I'm running 2 aria players at once since there is no way to get a full orchestra with only 16 tracks. I keep the strings and woodwinds on the first aria player and the brass and whatever else on the second. The Steinway was on channel 13 of the first aria player and so I tried loading different instruments to that channel. None of them wanted to sustain. Then I tried playing the track through a channel I assigned to strings on the second aria player and surprisingly it sustained fine. I just went ahead and emptied the Steinway from the first player and loaded it in the second player. I don't think it was a problem with the first player rather it was a problem with the channel. Every now and again one of the channels acts up for some reason. (Well I'm sure there's a reason, it's just not known to me.)

Thanks for all the help,
    Dane
    Sounds like it might have been a polyphony problem then. Too many notes playing at the same time was causing the piano notes to cut off early. You can adjust the number of voices per instrument. I don't recall where that is at the moment though.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Dane,

This is a bug in the ARIA player. I ran into this a couple times at NAMM when loading instruments into empty slots usually in between ones that were already used.

The fix is to save your file and restart your sequencer program. It should then play correctly. It seems that loop points are getting cut off.

Jim

Go Back to forum