• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Libraries in Notion 3 SLE

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Libraries in Notion 3 SLE

Hi. I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone know if it's possible to use GPO4, JABB 3 and World Libraries in Notion 3 SLE for GPO? Maybe not having the presest (as I've read, it s not possible apparently), but by creating the instrument list?

thanks!
    José Miguel Serrano
    Keol

Re: Garritan Libraries in Notion 3 SLE

Hi Keol.
    To my knowldge the SLE version of Notion can only run the library it is degined for: GPO.
    Regards.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Well, I went ahead and bought Notion SLE for GPO, and I managed to use the other libraries. The catch is that the instrument presets are only for GPO (that is, when creating a score, the instrument list only shows GPO). However, through a boring path, I could create a big band template (not exactly a notion temp`late, but at least a blank file to use).

So with "Basic staff" I created an instrument, adding a temporary GPO instrument. When ready, I changed the instrument in the Aria player, checking that the transposition atributes and names were correct. So, I'm building a set of blank-template-notion-files to use later

Thanks for your answer!

Look promising though!! I hope to make music soon! (It´s been a while)
    José Miguel Serrano
    Keol

Hi Keol

Quote Originally Posted by _Keol View Post
    The catch is that the instrument presets are only for GPO (that is, when creating a score, the instrument list only shows GPO)
    This is what SLE is designed for.

So with "Basic staff" I created an instrument, adding a temporary GPO instrument. When ready, I changed the instrument in the Aria player […] So, I'm building a set of blank-template-notion-files to use later
    Nice to hear SLE lets you create "blank" staves. I'm not sure you can "fill" it with an instrument from outside the ARIA/Garritan environment (see above).

Sadly, Notion doesn't manage cc messages other than velocity (you can set value note by note in "sequencer mode" - Tab key, on Mac), so the full expressive power of GPO instruments stills a bit behind the scenes, but you can achieve good results anyway.

I suggest to tweak Notion rules to sweeten *soft start* articulation (not less than *-30*, otherwhise notes fall silent below *pp* dynamic).

To have timpani rolls you need to write it out (*tremolo* sign doesn't work). Spot my workaround at http://www.box.net/shared/zz1jynssgy. Add some randomization to note lenght, not to velocity values, unless you don't nedd crescendo/decrescendo along the passage.

Have fun.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks!!

Well, at least I managed to tweak the SLE for Garritan instruments outside GPO (JABB and World are working quite fine) and since I don´t have other libraries I can´t try things out on that side. However apparently one can enable plugins... MAYBE one could, having the library, add non GPO instruments. But again I can´t try that.

I understand what you say about the CC management and yes it is limiting. I would have liked if envelopes were available in Notion. That's why I´m tryning to work things out with Reaper. I know of a rewire option between reaper and notion, but I haven´t succeeded yet in working with both. I´m trying though... (still learning)

Thank you very much for your suggestions on the soft start articulation and the timpani roll. I´ll sure try those!

Best Regards
    José Miguel Serrano
    Keol

Go Back to forum