• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: new member and new spectrasonics user (Omni questions)

Share/Bookmark

new member and new spectrasonics user (Omni questions)

Howdy gang, new user here. I recently bought Logic after a loooong hiatus with music and have been cautiously optimistic with my progress so far. I'm a bassist by trade and not really well-versed with keys, DAWs, sequencing etc but over the last few months I've been getting closer to coaxing Logic to spit out what I'm hearing in my head. Having fun and despite considering myself a decent songwriter I haven't considered my tinkering anything more than an enthusiast hobby. Until i saw some Spectrasonics products demoed at NAMM.

In short, I've sold a kidney, held bake sales etc in order to buy Trilian and Omnisphere (I haven't even tortured myself with Stylus vids yet). I bought Trilian today to get my feet wet.

My first question -- Omnisphere 1.5 is due in a few days. I know the current (1.3x?) version qualifies for a free 1.5 update, but do you think it would be wise to hold off and buy a dedicated 1.5 retail package to be eligible for (possible) free 1.6-2.x updates? I guess my concern is that 1.5 may take some time to appear in retail channels and I'm pretty much *dying* to get a hold of this monster.

My next question concerns sys reqs and performance. I run Logic 9 on a MBP C2D 2.33 w/ 3GB of ram. Logic runs fine, but then again I have pretty anemic projects... generally 8-12 tracks, and I merge/freeze when practical to save on resources. Will Trilian or Omnisphere (separately, not together) run reasonably well on a 3GB MBP? Let's say one ultrabeat track, half a dozen audio tracks, a generic midi track and an Omni track?

The reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet on Omni (other than the impending 1.5 release) is I can easily see me ramping things up quickly with Logic + Trilian + Omnisphere and possibly RMX, and I can already hear my MBP choking on that setup, so I'm going to need to buy either a dedicated Mac or a new i5/i7 MBP. I'm debating on buying Omnisphere now and saving another month for a new machine or buying a new machine now and holding off on Omni for another month.

'nuther question -- Omnisphere's guitar(ish) library. Haven't watched/heard a lot about them. When it came down to deciding on an overall platform, it came down to either NI Kontakt or Omnisphere, and Omni (to my ears and for my needs) won hands down, although the NI libraries seem to have some really bang up guitar sounds. Haven't heard a lot of that on the Spectrasonics front. I'm not looking for ultra-realism (I can always plug in my cheap MIM Strat), something slightly synthy/atmospheric isn't a problem (and maybe even desired). I'm looking for something like a Hendrix-reversed guitar lead that's legato to be used for simple melodic stuff.

For those that own Omni -- have you also picked up the Hans Zimmer guitar packs? Thoughts?

Ok, enough yapping. I can't wait for Trilian and my M-Audio controller to arrive! Damn you Eric Persing, what subliminal messages have you embedded in your NAMM videos to compel me to drain my bank account?
    Last edited by swartzfeger; 02-10-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling (for clarity)

Re: new member and new spectrasonics user (Omni questions)

- Buy now. Even if you don't have enough juice to run alot of tracks there is so much in Omni that you can learn by playing with one sound. You can always render to audio in the meantime.
    - Doesn't matter when you buy, the updates are free.
    - There are no "packs" that go with Omni, everything is built in. As for Hans Zimmer , a lot of content from that library is already included.
    - Get RMX. Once you hear and use it you'll know why.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Let me tell you- Logic with Omni/Trilian/RMX is a POWERHOUSE. I run it on my 2009 MBP C2D 2.53 with 4GB. It can make my system squeal though (3GB should be fine but I do wonder about some of the Trilian basses that take over 2GB of memory). Definately pick up all 3 and then put your wallet away- you won't likely need to buy anything.
    I regret buying Komplete first- but am glad I have it for organ's and some of Kontakt- but that is it- should have jumped on Omni when I had the chance- would have cost me less.

As for RMX- it is the oldest of the bunch and I suspect it will be replaced eventually. Yet, it still rocks and definately should be on your purchase list.

Thanks guys. I figured by rendering to audio, etc, i can at least limp along with Omni until I get new hardware.

re: RMX -- this is the one piece of the puzzle I'm struggling with, ie, a loop-based vs sample-driven groove machine.

My issue -- generating quick drum tracks that are passable and 90% final vs. the ability to go in and tweak and waste three hours on a track because I'm anal/OCD.

Mind you, I know nothing about RMX, and there is very little info out there. From what I've seen, something like EZ Drummer/Toontrack or BFD might be more ideal for my workflow. My general songs are prog-ish (rush, porcupine tree, etc) with a lot of time sig changes, polyrhythms, beat modulations, blah blah blah, and some of my stuff flirts with fusion and world beat, so I'm simply looking for realistic samples (whether it's a slingerland snare or an african djembe) and the ability to go in edit.

RMX -- from what I've seen of Eric's demos, time designer looks *killer*, the simplify function looks very useful for randomising and building the ebb/flow of a track, and groove lock with other looped samples looks fun albeit a bit gimmicky (although I can seem some limited uses in my own stuff, and it might be virtually necessary for syncing with Omni, I'm not sure).

Other than that -- I hate to say this, but RMX looks like a glorified groove sample browser interface to me. I know that sounds harsh. Ok, I can apply certain effects to just the downbeats... cool, great. Can I build my own kit from samples? Doesn't look like it.

The problem is I don't 'get' RMX yet. The demos I saw of Trilian and Omnisphere blew my mind, I only saw .1% of what's possible and I already bought Trilian without even playing with it (and I'm probably buying Omni tonight).

Seeing the quality that goes into their other products, I'm sure RMX is terrific, but $400 is a *lot* of coin to drop on something sight unseen and hoping it fits into my workflow. I just can't help but shake the feeling I'm spending $400 on a collection of drum loops without the ability to go in and customize on a beat-by-beat basis. While loops are quicker to build (and more natural/flowing), Logic's ultrabeat kits/sequencer is solid, lets me edit, and gets me to about 90% of what I hear in my head.

I'm still on the hunt for some RMX demos that may give me that 'a ha!' epiphany.

One thing I forgot to mention -- it looks like RMX supports rex files (or has the ability to convert/import them). I don't know much about rex/recycle, but it seems they are loops that are a little more flexible because of beat slicing. The demo I watched was pretty cool, but then I would need a license of Recycle (I don't think Logic or other apps let's you slice a loop and export as a .rx2)

While RMX does have libraries that are more "rock" oriented, it really focuses on breakbeat/remix/groove type beats.
    As far rex files goes, yes if you have recycle you can get a loop working in RMX but it can be a lot of work to get it perfect for certain loops.
    In my experience it's even harder to rex live played loops.
    I use Toontrack Superior Drums 2 (and have used ez drummer) as well and it sounds like it's more what you are looking for given your workflow.
    I can't say enough about Spectrasonics though, everything they put out is stellar and always a must have for me.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Quote Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
    I hate to say this, but RMX looks like a glorified groove sample browser interface to me.
    It's very glorified. Check out Eric explaining how to edit groups.

http://support.spectrasonics.net/pub...troduction.php

And there is gobs of stuff on You Tube.

http://www.google.com/search?q=stylu...&oq=stylus+RMX

You can't go wrong with Spectrasonics.

Quote Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
    Can I build my own kit from samples?
    Sure. In addition to playing loops, RMX has drum kits. It comes with many kits and you can build your own.
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

I use a combi of RMX and EZdrummer in my music.
    Its really the best of both.
    RMX gives me all the edgy stuff that stands out and puts accents in the music.
    Its also a deadsure songstarter. Call up some beats hit play and jam away.
    The amount of customization is insane in this thing.
    You can assign any midicontroller to do a myriad of things and apply those while the loops play. Very easy and fun to "play" a sampled beat and make it your own.
    For the regular druming i use EZdrummer or Superior.
    Its the closest thing to a livedrummer you can get in a computer.
    Both complement eachother just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    I use a combi of RMX and EZdrummer in my music.
    Its really the best of both.
    RMX gives me all the edgy stuff that stands out and puts accents in the music.
    Its also a deadsure songstarter. Call up some beats hit play and jam away.
    The amount of customization is insane in this thing.
    You can assign any midicontroller to do a myriad of things and apply those while the loops play. Very easy and fun to "play" a sampled beat and make it your own.
    For the regular druming i use EZdrummer or Superior.
    Its the closest thing to a livedrummer you can get in a computer.
    Both complement eachother just perfect.
    +1

I have them both along with Trilian and Omnisphere in my standard DAW template.

Kind regards,
    Rick

Go Back to forum