• Register
  • Help

Topic: Crossing the Yalu River (1950)

Smile Crossing the Yalu River (1950)

online play

From Wikipedia’s article on the Korean War:

UN aerial reconnaissance had difficulty sighting the Chinese PVA units in daytime, because their march and bivouac discipline minimized aerial detection. The PVA marched “dark-to-dark” (19:00–03:00), and aerial camouflage (concealing soldiers, pack animals, and equipment) was deployed by 05:30. Meanwhile, daylight advance parties scouted for the next bivouac site. During daylight activity or marching, soldiers were to remain motionless if an aircraft appeared, until it flew away; PVA officers might shoot security violators. Such battlefield discipline allowed a three-division army to march the 286 miles (460 km) from An-tung, Manchuria to the combat zone in some 19 days. Another division night-marched a circuitous mountain route, averaging 18 miles (29 km) daily for 18 days.

Not having been in harms way I have difficulty imagining what it must be like for any soldier, especially for a country whose officer’s might shoot you and viewed you as cannon fodder destined for human wave attacks against the United Nations positions.

Not knowing much about real Chinese music I associate this piece, Crossing the Yalu River (1950) with that march of the common Chinese soldier. The tuning used is Centaur A 7-CAP Just Intonation tuning by Kraig Grady.

The piece is scored for orchestral percussion, Chinese Gongs, Choazhou Guzheng, Bawu, Datangu Lion Drum, Choir, and double bass in Sonar X1 and realized via the Garritan Personal Orchestra and World sample sets.

Shelton, Washington State

Re: Crossing the Yalu River (1950)

An interesting historical project.

It made me curious about traditional chinese music so after listening to several tunes on youtube it seems that traditional chinese music is pastoral and meditative. The loud percussion is used in celebrations or theater.

You've mixed it all up with some bottom end and western choral. I think it kind of works, maybe as well as possible.

A worth while experiment.

Smile Re: Crossing the Yalu River (1950)

thanks for the listen and comment - and research!

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your piece. I thought it was well done. I am not the most musically literate person, but your piece moved me. I have listened to classical music for many years, though I find it to be to fast. In fact, I find a lot of it to be so fast that I cannot even begin to enjoy it. Though, I do have a deep respect for the orchestra and most importantly classical music. I have studied about Beethoven for years, and personally, I believe he is the greatest musician to have ever lived. Anyway, I will stop rambling before I try to write an essay. I like feelings to be long, sustained, etc.

Enjoyed your piece.

thanks for your listen and comment!

Go Back to forum