• Register
  • Help

Topic: been a long time

Share/Bookmark

been a long time

I've been away for a while (no not prison or an asylum just away from music) and just reinstalled GPO4 using Sonar X1.
    Funny (well not funny...more like sad) I can't remember how to assign midi tracks to individual instruments in GPO4 without creating separate instances...anyone care to brief me?
    Gary...yay!!! so glad you're back!

Re: been a long time

I am not sure I understand your question. In Sonar X1 when you import a midi file, each instrument should be on a separate track to start with. Then it is a matter of just filling an ARIA player with the correct instruments and then in Sonar's track list assign each track to the proper channel in the ARIA player.

If you have a midi file that is not the correct format (I forget here which is which (format 0 and format 1) then you maybe getting a midi import that has all the instruments on one track only. That is a problem that I do not know how to fix easily.

Of course, I am assuming that you have used some form of Sonar or Cakewalk DAW in the past and know how to import a midi file to tracks, add a synth (ARIA and GPO4) to the output and load samples into ARIA then assign tracks the proper channel numbers. Phew that was easy for me to say!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    I've been away for a while (no not prison or an asylum just away from music) and just reinstalled GPO4 using Sonar X1.
    Funny (well not funny...more like sad) I can't remember how to assign midi tracks to individual instruments in GPO4 without creating separate instances...anyone care to brief me?

Glad you're back.

It's pretty straight forward. This is a screenshot I used for something else, but the yellow boxes show you where midi channel assignments are made. By default it comes up as it's presented in this picture. That is each slot in the Aria player is set to a different midi channel. You'd then create a midi track for each midi channel routed to the track with the aria player. I use Reaper for my DAW and it's been a few years since I've used Sonar (now X1) so I'm not up to speed on the application specifics.

Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I am not sure I understand your question. In Sonar X1 when you import a midi file, each instrument should be on a separate track to start with. Then it is a matter of just filling an ARIA player with the correct instruments and then in Sonar's track list assign each track to the proper channel in the ARIA player.

If you have a midi file that is not the correct format (I forget here which is which (format 0 and format 1) then you maybe getting a midi import that has all the instruments on one track only. That is a problem that I do not know how to fix easily.

Of course, I am assuming that you have used some form of Sonar or Cakewalk DAW in the past and know how to import a midi file to tracks, add a synth (ARIA and GPO4) to the output and load samples into ARIA then assign tracks the proper channel numbers. Phew that was easy for me to say!
    Turns out I asked a dumb question...I got it figured and it's just too embarrassing to explain what I was thinking...thanks very much Rich!

Been there, done that!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

GRB53 - It Has been a long time! I love it when I see people getting back into their music.

Steve's reply with the screen shot is a good reference, in case you still need some reminders. Notice he has each instrument assigned to a different audio out so full control for each track/instrument is available.

It doesn't really matter, but I don't understand how we got into talking about importing MIDI files--? You're talking about writing some music aren't you, GR?

In any case--Hope you have a great time getting back into GPO!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    GRB53 - It Has been a long time! I love it when I see people getting back into their music.

Steve's reply with the screen shot is a good reference, in case you still need some reminders. Notice he has each instrument assigned to a different audio out so full control for each track/instrument is available.

It doesn't really matter, but I don't understand how we got into talking about importing MIDI files--? You're talking about writing some music aren't you, GR?

In any case--Hope you have a great time getting back into GPO!

Randy
    Thanks Steve I just now saw all the trouble you went through!
    Randy, yessir original music...my wife and I are (finally) getting serious about making a spititual (non-denominational) CD....BTW, your new avatar looks pretty serious too

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Glad you're back too! Hope to see more of you here!

Gary

Go Back to forum