• Register
  • Help

Topic: CRUCIFIXUS from Bach B Minor Mass

Share/Bookmark

CRUCIFIXUS from Bach B Minor Mass

Re: CRUCIFIXUS from Bach B Minor Mass

I couldn't have imagined it before hearing it, but this rather complex piece, which I've always found both wonderful and a bit puzzling, translates very well. The sound is fitting for the piece: deep, dark, mourning, and a bit organ like. Very good arrangement.

There were some notes that I never noticed in the version I have, e.g. around 1:43 and 2:57. Are these erratic or did I just never hear them?
    Theo

Interesting.
    It has a bit more "oomph" than the choral version, yes?

there's a bit of timpani very near the beginning, where the oboe has the theme and there's not much else playing... personally, I don't care for that tiny bit of timp. But I'm certain you could justify it and make me understand.

you are certainly an orchestrating daredevil!

Enjoyable listen Gary. I really love to listen to the Bach B minor Mass as
    I heard it first hand awhile back at Lehigh University near Philadelphia with
    E. Power Biggs at the organ and the Philadelphia Orchestra performing.

It was a great afternoon. During the day at different parts of the campus
    there were small ensembles playing preludes, fugues, and all of the smaller
    compositions by Bach. Never forgot that experience.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for listening, Theo. One challenge in working with a piano part is accidentals in another voice that you miss. I think that happened in m. 1:43. I did not hear that in 2:57.
    I think voice leading of notes (7ths) is vital to the music sounding right-it may be the case here.

Thanks for your comments Michael. I try to maintain the intent of the Composer in an arrangement. I sparsely used the timpani.

Thanks for listening, Jack.

Gary

Go Back to forum