• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to automate 'Tune' in GPO using Sonar 8

Share/Bookmark

How to automate 'Tune' in GPO using Sonar 8

I am having trouble automating the 'tune' of my violin in GPO, im looking to create the eerie sound of the strings rising chromatically, i can automate things like the pitch and modwheel, but is there a way to do this?
    Thanks!

P.s: i know i can use the pitch but it's not has good as the tune.

Re: How to automate 'Tune' in GPO using Sonar 8

Quote Originally Posted by Composer@1988 View Post
    I am having trouble automating the 'tune' of my violin in GPO, im looking to create the eerie sound of the strings rising chromatically, i can automate things like the pitch and modwheel, but is there a way to do this?
    Thanks!

P.s: i know i can use the pitch but it's not has good as the tune.
    Unfortunately the tuning function in your sample player (ARIA for GPO4, Kontakt Player for earlier GPO versions) is not "associated" in its programming with a MIDI controller, so automation isn't possible. However, there are two ways you can do what you're after:

1. If you want just straight chromatic runs, input the notes one-by-one with very short note values. Depending on the tempo of the passage, I think this should be at the least 16th notes, or 32nd to 64th notes for slow tempos. (I know this is a pain, but it's the only way.)

2. If you want chromatic runs that have the effect of sliding up and down, notate the runs and use portamento. I haven't worked with portamento before, so I can't give you the specifics on how you do it, but this is covered in the GPO manual. If you use portamento right, you'll be sliding from one note to the next in your notated runs, and it should create a seamless slide across your runs.

By the way, I don't know if you've heard of a Gothic soap opera from the 1960s called Dark Shadows. The show's composer was Bob Cobert, and one of his signature effects was to use sliding chromatic runs in the strings. You can listen to a recording of the show's theme here. Crappy recording I know, but you can hear Cobert's sliding runs in the string basses -- pretty eerie!

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Re: How to automate 'Tune' in GPO using Sonar 8

Hey thanks alot Steve, Tired using portamento but it's didn't come out has i wanted, although it did result in a 'happy accident', i ended up getting an even more scary and unique sound. Also i heard the Dark Shadows Theme, nice! thats just the vibe i was going for.

Go Back to forum