• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trilian -- bass effects

Share/Bookmark

Trilian -- bass effects

Omnisphere and Trilian arrive tomorrow. The anticipation is killing me.

Question regarding Trilian and effects -- one bass effect I've always loved is the bass doubler effect Tony Levin uses on some of his fretless and 5 string work with Peter Gabriel, King Crimson etc. It has a great 'growl' to it and isn't quite as synthy sounding as some other bass ocatvers. I'm not sure what pedal Levin uses, might be a Boss OC2 or MXR Bass Octave Deluxe.

Anyway, I've scanned quickly through Logic's effects and didn't find any comparable octave doubling effect like you would achieve with a Boss OC2 (maybe I didn't spend enough time with pitchshifting). Does Trilian come with an octaver fx rack? If not, is there a viable VST solution anyone has tried?

Re: Trilian -- bass effects

you can use the harmonia feature to add extra octaves to the sound.
    Doesnt really sound like a typical octaver though because these tend to generate a rather synthy sounding lower octave.
    LAyering the sticksound with a synthwave in layer B that is tuned an octave lower and has some lowpassfilter applied might be more what you are looking for.
    There is a good selection of Chapman patches in Trilian that sound like Tony Levin (without the chops of course)

Congrats swartzfeger. I upgraded to Omnisphere and Trilian at the same time about a year ago, and the day they arrived was joyous, if somewhat overwhelming.

Of course, you'll be receiving Omnisphere a day before a major update and I know you won't be able to resist it's next dimension (always wise to have the latest update anyway). Try to be patient while you're jumping up and down.

Regarding this thread, I'm a guitar player and extremely guilty of wanting to get certain sounds in my head out of Trilian. But I always love what I come up with - which is inevitably different - and I end up pursuing whatever that turns out to be.

And I realize many users do have a specific need for specific bass sounds. Hans' post was spot on, Trilian is so deep that you can probably get very close to where you want to be . The fx are numerous and incrediby powerful and versatile, but no true octaver. Though I'd experiment quite a bit with the fx before looking elsewhere for anything unless you really need an exact sound ASAP. I have a feeling you're going to be busy though :-).

I do occasionally use Amplitube3's fx with Trilian though because I can get more of an analogue grit.

But I'd bet that any sound I get using AT3 fx with Trilian most would be quite content to live without. However if anyone wanted to freak out their friends, play Peter Hook's bass line from "Ceremony" at a party (and you have to sing, lol) - Trilian's fx might need a tiny bit of assistance with an octaver there, but it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't.

Omnisphere and Trilian really excel when you don't have anything in your head and you just go with whatever your starting point is.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardEI View Post
    The fx are numerous and incrediby powerful and versatile, but no true octaver.
    Trilian's Harmonia section can definitely do a true octaver effect....in fact it's much better sounding than any pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Trilian's Harmonia section can definitely do a true octaver effect....in fact it's much better sounding than any pedals.
    This is excellent news. And of course, I'm guessing the harmonia doesn't have 'tracking' issues like many (most) octave pedals have on a bass' lower registers.

That's right. Most pedals and harmonizers only wish they could work this well!

LMAO- that was a great line Eric- love you man!!!!

Go Back to forum