• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWI 4000s - ARIA

Share/Bookmark

EWI 4000s - ARIA

Hi
    Any tips on how to find a tutorial that describes how to connect the EWI 4000s to ARIA? I get some sound when plugging in the MIDI connectors, but it's almost inresponsive and the sound is pulsating. Do I need to map the controls out from the EWI to the ARIA player somehow?
    I am learning MIDI, so I need something really simple to get started with.

Re: EWI 4000s - ARIA

Quote Originally Posted by kalhan View Post
    Hi
    Any tips on how to find a tutorial that describes how to connect the EWI 4000s to ARIA? I get some sound when plugging in the MIDI connectors, but it's almost inresponsive and the sound is pulsating. Do I need to map the controls out from the EWI to the ARIA player somehow?
    I am learning MIDI, so I need something really simple to get started with.
    Set your EWI 4000 to not send aftertouch, but breath control instead.

It's as simple as that? Thx a lot!

Yes! I'm getting somewhere! It's still sluggish, but the pulsations are gone. I use the MME alternative for Audio Device API and the Microsoft Sound mapper output as Audio Device in Aria. Everything runs on a really slim notebook (Asus eee). Maybe this is my next problem to adress? The CPU seems to be doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by kalhan View Post
    Yes! I'm getting somewhere! It's still sluggish, but the pulsations are gone. I use the MME alternative for Audio Device API and the Microsoft Sound mapper output as Audio Device in Aria. Everything runs on a really slim notebook (Asus eee). Maybe this is my next problem to adress? The CPU seems to be doing alright.
    I have an EEE 901. That has a terrible internal soundcard, useless even with Asio4all installed. If you've got a dual-core EEE, then you might get better results, but if not, go and buy a cheap USB audio interface that has ASIO support.

For what it is worth, I use an EWI USB with Aria just fine, and depending upon the library you are using (GPO4 vs JABB3) you might need to have a different setup. For example, in JABB3, the clarinet does respond nicely to aftertouch for vibrato. To make that work, I set the "bite" controls (i.e. bending the mouth piece) to after touch, and the breath control for volume. To vary tone I also mapped the CC26 control (VAR1) to the "breath" as well, and it plays nicely in that mode.

For some of the GPO instruments, they may or may not respond to the aftertouch for vibrator, so you should check the docks. In that case, you could turn off aftertouch without any loss.

Hope the help. If you have questions, feel free to post again.

So, finally it works. I got a Presonus audiobox usb midi interface. The mapping of breath to volume is managed using Midifish-> LoopBe1->Aria player.
    There is still a lot to consider when it comes to mapping, but it sounds alright.
    Thanka for all the help! If you have any more tips on how to get the most out of the EWI, I'm all ears.

Go Back to forum