• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    I heard an arrangement of this piece done for strings by Richard Stoltzman. It is distributed with the Microsoft Media Player, and the record company made the sheet music and recordings available. The website for this is http://www.navonarecords.com/stoltzmanFlaxen.

    I used all GPO4 strings and the JABB3 Clarinet so that I could get the vibrato effects properly playing the EWI USB. The clarinet part is played live with the strings (i.e. no MIDI editing). I also used extensive tempo changes to match the timing of the recording as best as I could; I wanted to see if it could actually be done--it turned out pretty close.

    I hope you enjoy it. I know I did learning the piece and making the string parts work. I learned quite a bit doing this.

    http://www.box.net/shared/pxvzc2zpf9
    Last edited by jdsnyderii; 02-13-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Correct composers name

  2. #2

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    That's good playing. The clarinet sounds nearly real. The only thing that distinguishes it from a real recording is the perfection. What a lovely sound. The strings are less realistic. There are a few spots where the solo strings sound rather mechanical. But the arrangement and the conducting is also really well done: gentle, with feeling, in the spirit of Debussy. Well done.
    Theo

  3. #3

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    Theo,

    Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I experimented with a couple of ways to make the clarinet sound "less perfect" so to speak, so believe it or not, this is post configuring the EWI to vary the tone. If you get a chance, can you post the times (or send a private message) in the song where the strings sound mechanical to you. I think I know where you mean, but I wanted to get a different set of ears if you get my drift.


    Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    That's good playing. The clarinet sounds nearly real. The only thing that distinguishes it from a real recording is the perfection. What a lovely sound. The strings are less realistic. There are a few spots where the solo strings sound rather mechanical. But the arrangement and the conducting is also really well done: gentle, with feeling, in the spirit of Debussy. Well done.

  4. #4

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    This is lovely! And also my all-time favourite classical piece (any setting of it, really)! Thanks!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

  5. #5

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    Thanks Brindle, I really liked doing it. I plan to revisit it a bit to work out some of the kinks, but I was happy with the first pass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brindle View Post
    This is lovely! And also my all-time favourite classical piece (any setting of it, really)! Thanks!

  6. #6

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    I updated the song based on some feedback about the string parts. It seems to remove most of the rough spots. The same link above has the newer version.

  7. #7

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    Thanks for the heads up! It's the first time I am going to play the clarinet though. Your comments, insights and all are really helpful, thanks for posting all your comments because it's really helpful. Thanks.

  8. #8

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    Beautifully done, JD -- very well played, well rendered.

    I haven't heard this piece in ages... I thoroughly enjoyed your fine rendition of it.

    All the best,



    David
    -------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  9. #9

    Re: Debussy - Maid with the Flaxen Hair (GPO4 and JABB3)

    Thanks for listening and the comments... coming from someone with your skills, I am starting to feel like am getting the hang of the rendering and playing. Still working on my compositions skills :-) ... I got a ways to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Beautifully done, JD -- very well played, well rendered.

    I haven't heard this piece in ages... I thoroughly enjoyed your fine rendition of it.

    All the best,



    David
    -------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •