• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual Monitors - something new?

Virtual Monitors - something new?

I am not an advocate of mixing on headphones. HOWEVER, this new virtual monitor system for headphones:

Focusrite VRM Box

...looks very interesting. Any comments / ideas?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Re: Virtual Monitors - something new?

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    I am not an advocate of mixing on headphones. HOWEVER, this new virtual monitor system for headphones:

Focusrite VRM Box

...looks very interesting. Any comments / ideas?
    I just checked out the website, and VRM Box does look quite promising. Their "under the hood" methods appear to be sound, and maybe IR isn't just for convolution reverb anymore. Although I had to do some some digging for price info, the range is $100-$125, which I think is pretty reasonable if the product performs as advertised.

Now, I find VRM Box particularly interesting for two reasons. First I've been searching around to replace my old PC speakers with nearfield monitors. Unfortunately trying to fit the monitors I was going to go with into the real estate I have available on my computer desk may be more of a problem than I thought. I haven't spent any money yet, so perhaps I got lucky on the timing here. Second, for a variety of reasons I prefer headphones, and I rarely listen to music over my PC speakers. My only reason for buying monitors would be to check my audio work and make corrections to any glaring sound problems that aren't coming over the headphones. Once again, if VRM Box performs as advertised, I would get the best of both worlds. Nothing wrong with that!

The only problem I can see is that this is a brand new product just being released. Although the initial reviews I found are glowing, I'd wait for it to be out for awhile, then see what the general consensus seems to be. It would also be helpful if some of the more experienced audio mix ears on this forum were to give VRM Box a spin and give us some feedback. If the thumbs were up there, I would definitely go for it.

Luckily, I'm in no hurry to run out and buy anything just yet, so I think I'll just sit back for a bit and keep my eye out for further reviews, and especially ones direct from one or two of our forum members. In the meantime, thanks for putting it on the radar screen, and I hope it turns out that you came up with a real find!

If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Looks like a great aid to mixing. Wonder what DPDAN would think of
    this new product?

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

IR can emulate any process or transformation that doesn't go on forever. So it can do a reverb, or a Moog filter, or a telephone speaker, but it can't do an infinite echo (although you can approximate it pretty well) or a sound ring-modulated with itself.

This is my opinion so far of the VRM:

In the olden days, a studio where Fleetwood Mac recorded, had a car with an AM radio, and you could send the control room signal to that radio, only to hear what your song would sound like in a car, because they wanted it to sound good on an AM radio in a car. This device helps you do similar things just on your laptop.

This product will not turn a pair of cheap headphones into reference monitors. It will make expensive monitoring headphones sound more like different kinds of monitors in different conditions. You can use it to hear how your mix will sound on a car radio, or on a TV in a bedroom. It can show you the difference between hearing your music on a pair of Genelec monitors and a pair of KRK monitors in a studio, but it only vaguely approximates each sound. It is not a substitute for good speakers, it's a help for mixing without needing a lot of equipment.

Go Back to forum