• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Have you ever wasted money on a sample library?

Share/Bookmark

Have you ever wasted money on a sample library?

Forgive me, I need to rant. I'm new to sampling and not super familiar with the respected companies out there. Deciding to start building my libraries, I spent some time here and elsewhere reading quick reviews, gleaning as much info as possible.

First, I downloaded as many free sample packs as possible for a variety of instruments to get a feel for what's a 'good' and 'bad' library (and also trying to determine what might be good for others might be bad for me and vice versa).

After downloading a bunch and playing extensively, I decided to buy a few from SonicCouture because they seem to be highly regarded. The packs were phenomenal. Definitely buying more from them.

Confident now, I went to another company (highly regarded) and plunked down $100 on a library based on the fantastic demos that were posted. Seeing the series listed within the library, I knew there were only a handful I would use, but I was fine with paying the price to have them.

Everything sounded great at first, sketched out a quick demo, then went to do a rough mix to realize something was off. The samples from the new library had an annoying high pitched tone in them.

Went into audacity, plotted the audio and found the offending frequency. Now i had to go through the entire series, run a parametric, etc etc.

The whole thing really pissed me off. I can't spend $100 every week on these things, not even every month. Maybe a few times a year. I sent an email to the company detailing the experience and my disappointment and nothing, nada, zilch. Knowing that sample companies have similar return policies as software companies (ie, the consumer is screwed because of piracy), I'm just double extra p*ssed.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure this company does great stuff. Their demos sound great and they're highly regarded. It just so happens the one series in a library I wanted turned out to be overwhelmingly mediocre (audio-wise/technically, creatively it's fantastic).

Sorry for bitching. After having a good experience with SonicCouture, I had assumed every company just automagically produced great products.

Keeping my wallet in my pocket for now...

Re: Have you ever wasted money on a sample library?

I didnt know you can still pick up a good library for a 100.00 bucks anymore. Joseph

The company referred to it as a library, but that's kind of misleading... it's a single instrument, not an entire library or suite of separate/distinct instruments.

Look at EastWest and Garritan if you want good stuff with good customer service. I have products from both companies, and am very happy with them, and it customer service is amazing.

BTW, I would be somewhat suspect of any library that's only $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Look at EastWest and Garritan if you want good stuff with good customer service. I have products from both companies, and am very happy with them, and it customer service is amazing.

BTW, I would be somewhat suspect of any library that's only $100.
    Maybe I'm using the term library incorrectly. For example, I purchased SonicCouture's eBow guitar was very good, and it was $79.

The vocal 'library' I purchased had a particular improvisational series that i wanted, and creatively it was quite good but the audio quality was not.

This is one of the reasons I posted -- $99 is a lot to me. But if $100 is spotty for a library/instrument, then I know I simply need to save more money and shoot for a higher end product.

Thanks for the input!

All I can say is "Welcome to the club!" At this point I have so many libraries that I will never use that I have very little faith in demos and consider any purchase a 50/50 proposition. I've reached the point where I just see it as the cost of doing business.

I think we've all spent money on samples that turned out to be less than we would have wanted. I remember buying a 3 for the price of 2 once, and the "extra" library was installed in my studio and deleted the same day. ;>)

D

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie View Post
    ...that I have very little faith in demos....
    I definitely hear what you are saying. Something to consider, however: it is the job of the dev - and they have a responsiblity to themselves - to put out the best sounding demos possible, even knowing full well that most customers will never be able to come close to acheiving the quality of the demo. Unethical? Hardly. They (ok, I can throw myself in to the fray, and say "we") are trying to sell the library. One of the ways a lib sells, is with great sounding demos. "Here - this is what you can do with it". 'Can' being the key word.

True, you hear a demo, and think, "wow - this lib sounds great" and then you install and attempt to use it, only to find that acheiving what the demo sounded like ain't so easy. But so long as the dev doesn't lie about anything, add processing that is undisclosed, and/or do anything that might give the end user any false impressions, making the best soundging demos possible is a necessity.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post
    I definitely hear what you are saying. Something to consider, however: it is the job of the dev - and they have a responsiblity to themselves - to put out the best sounding demos possible, even knowing full well that most customers will never be able to come close to acheiving the quality of the demo. Unethical? Hardly. They (ok, I can throw myself in to the fray, and say "we") are trying to sell the library. One of the ways a lib sells, is with great sounding demos. "Here - this is what you can do with it". 'Can' being the key word.

True, you hear a demo, and think, "wow - this lib sounds great" and then you install and attempt to use it, only to find that acheiving what the demo sounded like ain't so easy. But so long as the dev doesn't lie about anything, add processing that is undisclosed, and/or do anything that might give the end user any false impressions, making the best soundging demos possible is a necessity.

Cheers.
    So what you hear in the demo is not what you're actually buying? Not quite fair or honest in my opinion.
    The buyer should be able to hear the actual samples he/she is paying for, as well the processed, "Here - this is what you can do with it" ones, otherwise you don't know what you are really getting.

Buyer beware.

Mauri.
    Cubase 7.5 | Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.24GHz | Win7 Pro x64 SP1 dual boot on 2 x Crucial m4 SSDs + 2 x Crucial m4 SSDs for samples and project files | ASUS P5E | 8 GB RAM | Echo Layla 3G | ASUS HD 6570 | Vox Tonelab SE | Mackie HD624 MKII | UAD2 Solo x 2 | 2 x BenQ GL2450 monitors...and lots of software...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post

Cheers.
    However, it is also the job of the developer to show you how to achieve those great results. There is nothing wrong with posting user demos, with no details, but when developers tell us that the MIDI files for company demos are trade secrets, then they are being dishonest.

D

Go Back to forum