• Register
  • Help

Topic: Deadline for Tutorial Competition Approaching!

Share/Bookmark

Deadline for Tutorial Competition Approaching!

The deadline for the Tutorial Competition is rapidly approaching.

Only one more week - February 28th.

Everyone who submits a tutorial that gets posted on our site will win something. And there will be a grand prize of $1,000 and two two runner up prizes of $500 each.

Let's see some fabulous tutorials!

Thanks

Gary

Re: Deadline for Tutorial Competition Approaching!

One more day to get your tutorial finished!

Good luck!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    One more day to get your tutorial finished!

Good luck!

Gary
    Hello, Gary!

Thanks for the reminder, and I can't wait to see the great stuff that will emerge from the contest! Perhaps the timing is right, then for a modest proposal I'd like to make. (Sorry for taking up room on the forum for this post, but I tried PMing you and it wouldn't let me send.)

I've been trying to help a forum member in Sweden solve some problems he's having with his DAW and ARIA. My e-mail exchanges with him have brought forward an idea that I've had in the back of my mind. Here's what it is, and I like to see what you think of it.

I think the Tips, Techniques & Tutorials forum is superb, and it has shown itself to be a great help to solving problems and teaching us how to use the creative tools at our disposal. Unfortunately, the information that's shared there gets lost over time as older posts get pushed back by newer ones. And while the T, T & T stickies are nice, they cover only certain aspects of the big picture.

I would therefore like to propose the following: Have garritan.com host a page called the Garritan Learning Center (GLC). This page would basically be an index page with links to and brief descriptions of tutorials that serve a general-purpose "how to" function for people who are either new to the Garritan libraries or completely new to the world of using DAWs and sample libraries. The GPO manuals have always been excellent -- a lot more informative than many other software manuals I've seen, so I think the GLC could be quite a valuable adjunct. The problem I eluded to regarding T, T & T is one of information visibility. To address that problem, my further proposal is that the GLC has a link to it directly from the Garritan Libraries website. It could be on the homepage, or it might be more appropriate going under Support, but either way the point is to make the GLC's presence as visible as possible. I don't know what percentage of Garritan customers join the forum, but this would guarantee that new and existing customers would see a valuable learning resource front-and-center regardless of whether or not they become forum members.

We have a wonderful forum community, and I'm sure there are a number of highly useful tutorials buried in the archives of the forum posts that deserve to be brought back from obscurity through the GLC. We also have a tutorial competition that's bound to generate more. From my perusal of other websites selling sample libraries, I see a general lack of easy-access information along the lines of what I'm suggesting. Therefore, I firmly believe that my GLC concept would not only fulfill a genuine need, but it would add even more to your company's already outstanding (and richly deserved) reputation by going the extra mile in a way that your competition is failing to do.

As to hosting the tutorials themselves, there are two ways we could go. For tutes that are document-based (Word docs, PDFs, etc.), I think their relatively small file sizes would be feasible to have hosted on your web server without taking up an inordinately large amount of server space. Video tutes are, however another matter as their file sizes are huge and would take up a lot more of your bandwidth. In such cases they would have to be hosted elsewhere, but I can't imagine this is horribly problematic. And as to selecting the tutes to be presented through the GLC, I would side with ones that address issues of general interest and application. For example, how to use the Garritan Libraries with the most commonly used DAWs and notation programs, reverb programs such as Altiverb, etc. (DPDan has just an outstanding series of video tutes on using Altiverb, and I think they should definitely be on the GLC. As it stands now, you have to do a lot of searching just to find them on the forum.) Over a year ago I put together a very detailed tute on how to create realistic-sounding timpani rolls. However, this addresses a very specific issue in an area that I doubt holds much general interest, so I offer it as an example of the sort of tute I would not select for the GLC.

If you like my proposal, and you think that it has sufficient merit to pursue, I would lobby for implementing the GLC as soon as possible. Creating the initial GLC links page shouldn't take long, and it will of course be a building process over time, but I think the task would be quite manageable for your webmaster.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this wall of text, and I look forward to your response!

Best regards,

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

The Tutorial Competition is now closed.

We received some excellent tutorials. We'll begin evaluating them and announce the winners soon. Everyone who submitted a tutorial will win something (at least a free library).

Thanks to all who submitted tutorials.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum