• Register
  • Help

Topic: Frickin DESPERATE for ROCK GUITAR!!!

Share/Bookmark

Frickin DESPERATE for ROCK GUITAR!!!

I\'ve paid for:
    Amps & Pickups by Sonic Implants
    Guitar And Bass by Quantum Leap
    I\'ve got the Hans Zimmer Vol 1 cd due in the home studio today. If anyone has some experience with creating rock music with GigaStudio please respond with the samples you are using. I\'m desperate for rock rhythm and leads. I\'m not talking blues or rockabilly, I\'m looking for some fat rock sounds similar to what\'s on the radio these days. HELP! p.s. Anyone use the Hans Zimmer collection? Did I just waste another $300.00?

Re: Frickin DESPERATE for ROCK GUITAR!!!

Dude, you can spend thousands on sample libraries, and you\'ll never come close to the real thing. You\'d be better off hiring a session player for your songs. Sample libraries are great for bed tracks, but I would never think of using a keyboard to try and get it to sound like DiMeola cutting loose. You\'ll never fool anyone.

As far as leads go, I agree I may have to hire a session player, but otherwise for standard guitar rhythm tracks, chugs, this should be totally do-able in a sample format. My current libraries come very close. Acoustic rhythm guitar has been sampled very well and is very useable in a Gigastudio environment. The search and waiting continues...

Have you tried recording your ideas with a clean guitar tone then processing the .wav with an OD/Distortion plug in?
    works wonders for my palm muted chugs!

my apologies in advance if this has been covered before but i also find thinking like a guitarist helps (y\'now Frontal lobotamy..not to much..damn..I use paiste cymbals)
    In my experience Classical (nylon) guitarists tend to arpeggiate their chords so the highest note is on the beat where as NORMAL people strum on top of the beat.

Clear as mud?
    sorry if this is a bit condescending

as for solo\'s i find it best to limit one\'s ideas! My keyboard playing bud/writing partner will insist on guitar solo\'s with HUGE intervallic leaps/3 octave arpeggio\'s and that annoyingly easy \'sweep\' up/down the keys to finish!
    Great if your going for an Allen Holdsworth type of thing (actually this sounds awesome over a Pantera/Meshugga type of groove)

BTW i usually end up playing the guitar parts,which he (my bud) then transcribes & records using a FREE soundfont!! (dont know where from,it\'s just a bog standard GM clean Strat)
    personally i\'ve not bought any giga guitar disks yet because the above method works for me/us. (plus i am now officially poor. Logic 4.6 )
    Hope this rambling mess helps somehow

ill shut up now

------------------
    The Blob

>Originally posted by Blob:
    >Have you tried recording your ideas with
    >a clean guitar tone then processing
    >the .wav with an OD/Distortion plug in?
    >works wonders for my palm muted chugs!

I did actually think of this, but I didn\'t pursue it. I have some clean samples and I will experiment with this idea. Thanks!

>my apologies in advance if this has been
    >covered before but i also find thinking
    >like a guitarist helps.

You know, you hit the nail on the head there. I am mainly a singer and drummer. The whole keyboard thing used to be just a hobby, but now that I am doing everything solo, I do have to learn to \"think\" like the person playing the instrument. With this thinking I am happy to report that I was able to get an excellent rythym guitar chugging along, using a layered rock strum and blues chug on top of each other. (1 from Amps&Pickups and 1 from Quantum Guitar And Bass) I\'ve played the tune for some normal listeners (non tech types) and they had no idea there wasn\'t \"actual\" musicians chugging along. So I\'m still convinced we\'ll see some cool rock ready guitars in Giga format in the future but at least now I can proceed with the creativity. Still if anyone knows of some good guitar libraries post em here! Thanks!

Check out the new LesPaul guitar from Sonic Implants.

http://members.tripod.com/~Andrew_Garrett/

Check this out, what do you think? He\'s using all digital samples for his guitar work. (Not my links or music...)

[This message has been edited by Munsie (edited 04-23-2001).]

Hmm...

[This message has been edited by Munsie (edited 04-23-2001).]

Either he\'s doing an awsome version of John Cage\'s 4\'33 or the link doesn\'t work with my browser(opera5)

------------------
    The Blob

Go Back to forum