• Register
  • Help

Topic: Holy Granular Batman!

Share/Bookmark

Holy Granular Batman!

As I audition the sounds in Omni I always go into the sounds to see how they were created. The new granular page is featured often in the 1.5 sounds.

Check this out:
    Call up "Vertigo Rumbler" and go to the edit page then turn off layer A.
    Now on layer B you have Elasto Fx menu.
    Go into granular and turn it off.
    Turn the filter off.
    Now you hear more of the raw soundsource.
    If you go backward and see what granular is doing it is astounding.

Spectrasonics never ceases to amaze!
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Re: Holy Granular Batman!

It's too bad they aren't tagged as such. If you pick "Granular" under the synthesis types, it only comes up with about 10 or so from the entire set of presets. None of which are from the 1.5 presets.

You can find any of the patches that use Omnisphere's own granular synthesis by simply searching the word "Granular" in the Browser. That will bring up hundreds and hundreds of granular patches.

The "Granular Synths" tag was an old one for Atmosphere sound, and we should probably delete it now because it has no reference to the current granular synthesis functions in Omnisphere, only the original source recordings for Atmosphere that were created with other Granular synthesis tools.

The Omnisphere granular synthesis feature is a lot more versatile for a really wide range of applications, so the old tag makes less sense.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    You can find any of the patches that use Omnisphere's own granular synthesis by simply searching the word "Granular" in the Browser. That will bring up hundreds and hundreds of granular patches.

The "Granular Synths" tag was an old one for Atmosphere sound, and we should probably delete it now because it has no reference to the current granular synthesis functions in Omnisphere, only the original source recordings for Atmosphere that were created with other Granular synthesis tools.

The Omnisphere granular synthesis feature is a lot more versatile for a really wide range of applications, so the old tag makes less sense.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Just my opinion here, but I think it would be more useful if, rather than deleting that category, you simply tagged all patches that use the granular mode as granular. It just seems easier to hit the granular category rather than type granular in the browser. And supposing we wanted to use another search, like guitars. We could hit the granular tag and enter "guitar" into the browser search to find granular patches using guitar sound sources.

It seems a lot easier to tag the granular patches than many of the other categories there are.

It's not really that helpful of a tag anymore, because the granular synthesis in Omnisphere produces a lot of "non-granular" types of sounds....so that's just confusing.

Removing the Granular synths "Type" tags now. There's a better way to do this in the future as we add more tags like "Timbre" to the library.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    It's not really that helpful of a tag anymore, because the granular synthesis in Omnisphere produces a lot of "non-granular" types of sounds....so that's just confusing.

Removing the Granular synths "Type" tags now. There's a better way to do this in the future as we add more tags like "Timbre" to the library.
    Too bad. I'd find it useful. I like to write granular in the search box as I find it interesting to see how the granular synthesis has been used in presets (as opposed to just things that "sound" granular). I just wish I could search granular as well as other search terms. A granular tag would allow me to do just that. If it's so misleading, then why is it in the description and therefor searchable? I'm extremely grateful for that anyways. Just wish I could then search keywords after filtering granular. The irony is that you're saying that there is too much sonic variety in the granular patches that come up, and I'd like the ability to use the search box on the granular patches to narrow them down. See what I'm saying?

An interesting philosophical discussion.

There are a lot of descriptions in the Notes which describe how the patch was made and not how the patch actually sounds.

Tags in the Patch Library are for how it sounds/what type of sound it is and the Notes are for playing suggestions and behind the scenes info on how it was created. Search references both.

For example, if you turn a Boys Choir soundsource into a screaming rock guitar, the patch would not be tagged Boys Choir (because that would be confusing), but the notes might talk about how the original soundsource was modified.

Boolean searches would be a good way to do the type of thing you are after, and that feature is on the master request list already.

Cheers,

spectrum

I see what you're saying, thanks for explaining the perspective.

So if I wanted to search for all patches using granular synthesis out of the 1.5 patches, how would you do that? (Ie. using granular synthesis as opposed to sounding like granular).

A good argument for a boolean search!

Something like:

"Granular, v1.5"

Right now you can only search one or the other.

I'll add my support for that request too then!

Go Back to forum